Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to be pushing about 350hp on a tmic a simple setup for now so i can be happy with for awhile and start upgrading other things so if a tmic can handle a 20g? or if any of you guys have any ideas or suggestion ill like to hear from u

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
you want to lower those 13.5 sec et's don't you?? you caught the bugwaterboywrx08!! ;D rock on!!!

if i was going to go 18 / 20 g i would be thinking fmic myself but the perrin tmic seems quite fit for the job. personally i would heat wrap the end tanks on it and sheild / wrap the dp and turbo for the best effiecency. +'s on the perrin tmic if you are going to be running the stock turbo for awhile yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya im still not sure what i want for a turbo with all the choices out there just looking for a turbo that i can max out without blowing up the motor because why have the big turbo and lag if your not using it right

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i see that the vf46 is bolt on but how much power can it put down ???

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Yeah I'm curious to hear what these guys will pull,

I had a very aggressive build on my old car, and wanted to push a more reasonable 300+ build on this one...

Want to keep a TMIC and if I have to upgrade the fuel delivery as well... (obviously a new turbo is implied)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i see that the vf46 is bolt on but how much power can it put down ???
Can handle 300+ but probably will lose alot of efficiency at the 350+ mark that you are shooting for.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
From P&L
TD05H-16G Stock Bolt On Turbo (350 HP)- $799.99 Shipped

The TD05H-16G is a bolt-on upgrade for the WRX/STI utilizing a Mitsubishi TD05 16G compressor wheel in a TD05 compressor housing capable of supporting 350 HP maximum. The turbine section consists of a Mitsubishi TD05H high flow turbine wheel and shaft assembly and a 7cm 2 nozzle area turbine housing with an internal wastegate port and wastegate actuator calibrated at 9 PSIG. The center housing contains a water jacket and comes complete with coolant pipes installed. Optional actuators are available for this turbocharger in pressures ranging from 10 to 19 PSIG

we will also included the uppipe to turbo and downpipe to turbo gasket

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
You say it will putter off towards 350, would that hold boost till red-line at the low 300s?

Or would it be safer to go with a turbo that's a little bit of an over kill, just not max it out... And if so any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
You say it will putter off towards 350, would that hold boost till red-line at the low 300s?

Or would it be safer to go with a turbo that's a little bit of an over kill, just not max it out... And if so any recommendations?
Low 300s would be at the best efficient range of the VF46 then tapering even lower at higher rpms to below 300hp

Heres One link
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/DynoFlash_Evo_8/IMGA0527.jpg
Another but for the 16G
http://www.boostplanet.com/images/16gDynorun.jpg

Pretty similar huh? Not much of a difference actually is it?

Here's an 18g
http://carv2.com/images/site_images/image_c/lonniedavislrg.gif
Woo hoo looks like your target doesn't it?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Forgot to note:
All dynos are different hence this is just a guide. Don't kill the messenger if you run into a super heartbreaker dyno later when you're done. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Haha yes I know the dyno story...

I just haven't seen many reference graphs for this platform so those are a perfect start...

Thanks,

~Mike

·
Registered
339 Posts
How do the 18G turbos do with spool time? How does it compare to the AVO380? That's the one I have my eye on, but I don't have $1800 for it.

What's a good 18G turbo, price, vendor, etc?

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
An 18G will spool a little faster than the AVO 380, but finding one that will fit our Legacy GT mounts is still a bit of a trick. You can still save money by getting a Blouch 18G and sending it to Ultimate Racing to have them machine it to fit our cars, but it takes a looooong time for both companies to get off their butts and actually produce (looking at around 4-8wks between the two of them).

OTOH, my AVO 380 spools around 3000 and pulls strong all the way to redline. It costs a lot more, but it is a true bolt-on solution and I'm not lagging much compared to stock (well, my torque converter makes up for it at low rpm's).

·
Registered
339 Posts
You can buy the STI intake and stuff on eBay, complete, for around $500. But I've heard that installation is something of a PITA. I think if you're looking for maximum power, this is probably the best way to go. But I figured if I had to spend $500+ on that setup, and a major installation, I would rather apply that money, plus a little more, to a bolt-on turbo.

In other news, I just bought a used VF40 for $150. When it arrives I'll have it tested and make sure it's good... rebuild it if needed. But what I'd like to do is find a place that will modify it for me... I've heard you can run 18G housings on them. I think a guy in NASIOC was selling one like that, which I thought about buying, but after following him around to various forums, I concluded he was probably a scammer, since there seemed to be a lot of people pissed at him over his first attempted sale of the thing.

I spoke with Deadbolt last week and they don't seem interested in working on the VF turbos; they kept trying to sell me one of their modded TD's.

Rob

·
Registered
339 Posts
After more research, it looks like the best turbo (aside from the VF40/46/52) is a TD06-18G from Deadbolt. I'm trying to find one cheaper right now... there's a guy on LegacyGT.com advertising 'em at a discount but isn't posting what that is. Waiting for a reply. I still think it'll be around $1500 with the optional porting and stuff, but that's not terrible, compared to the AVO380 being $1800+.

Anybody wanna buy the VF40 I just bought? :)

Rob

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
After more research, it looks like the best turbo (aside from the VF40/46/52) is a TD06-18G from Deadbolt. I'm trying to find one cheaper right now... there's a guy on LegacyGT.com advertising 'em at a discount but isn't posting what that is. Waiting for a reply. I still think it'll be around 00 with the optional porting and stuff, but that's not terrible, compared to the AVO380 being 00+.

Anybody wanna buy the VF40 I just bought? :)

Rob
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__OBX-TURBO-SUBARU-WRX-STI-LEGACY-GREEN-Spec-TD06-IHI_W0QQitemZ400006662143QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item400006662143&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72:543|65:12|39:1|240:1318

it does say if it is an 18g or not but ask the seller...

i am interested in the vf40, pm me please. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I msg'd the guy on eBay... had to ask about if it'd fit the Legacy/New WRX design with the rotated housing. Finally got a reply today. "it fits the EJ20 and EJ255; I don't do local pickup." Yet he's in Oakland and I'm in San Jose. I already know it won't fit, but why would I spend another $30 for shipping? What an idiot.

It looks like I will be using either a Zilla TD06-18G or an AVO380. There's only $200 price difference between the two, so it's a tough call. In either case it won't be happening until next year I don't think... the way the economy is tanking, I probably should save money.

Rob

1 - 20 of 32 Posts