Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matches very well, it just dosen't dim...so matches with panel on brightest setting...is an electronic gauge so does the calibration sweep at startup. Similar to stock gauges but slower. I like it very well. Price was a bit much, but was exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Looks awesome like you said though, only gripe is that it doesnt dim like the SPT will but the sweep looks nicer.
Cant I have my cake and eat it too? :p

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
^I'm with you. I need a dimming feature. The Maddad clarity ultra gauges are 3/4 style, match the oe cluster pretty well except for the needle, and dim. I heard they were making one to match the 08+ clusters, though that's just rumor at this point.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I like the pod stand where it's not too high.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
^I'm with you. I need a dimming feature. The Maddad clarity ultra gauges are 3/4 style, match the oe cluster pretty well except for the needle, and dim. I heard they were making one to match the 08+ clusters, though that's just rumor at this point.
If you come to Denver to meet up with us you can see how the spt ties into the dimmer switch It cant be that hard to accomplish.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Do you have a pic thats not so close? I'd lke to see the pod some more

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for taking so long to reply to the last two post. I will take a couple more pics and post them tomorrow. Very Easy Install.

Pod came with the gauge from http://www.j-spectuning.com/

It was a direct mount to the stearing colomn cover...getting that off was the most difficult part. It came with a small paper template for drilling the holes. I didn't like the suggested placement so I moved it a little further back . I used a small piece of double sided tape to mark exactly where I wanted it. I dreaded drilling the holes but took my time and it was not difficult at all.

I can take more pics of the complete install (sender location hose routing) if you would like.

Regards - Russell

·
Registered
821 Posts
i'd like to see more pix of the sending unit/hose routing if ya dont mind snapping a few.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are more pics. Taken with iPhone so forgive the quality.

Here is the Sending Unit, and my hose/wire routing. I secured everything with black zip ties loosly around the hose as to not crimp it wich would affect gauge readings. But just to secure it neatly out of the way of anything moving or hot. The sending unit I tightly zip tied to the wiring bundle entering the cabin and utalized that entrance point for the wire to go to the gauge. There is ample wire provided and was simple fish the wire into the cabin with a stiff wire. I used an electircians "wire snake" but I think most any long piece of wire will do.

and a picture of the T connection near the BOV.

I Hope this helps!

Russell

·
Registered
821 Posts
nice pix, very helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's a pic of mine that I installed today. I also got the $10-extra dimming feature on it, so it's not blindingly bright at night. As you can see, with the headlights on (gauges dimmed) it is about the same intensity.

the red spot on it is a reflection from my camera's night flash on the gauge lens..

·
Registered
198 Posts
btw, I ran my wiring from the engine bay throug the blank grommet on the firewall behind the intercooler, which is closer to the drivers side of the car. It was still a PITA to snake the wire though.

For power, I just tapped into the fuse box switched power fuse (#24) and grounded it by drilling a small hole and screw into the frame piece on the left side kick-panel. Much easier than ripping the whole dash apart to tap into the clock....

·
Registered
596 Posts
That looks great..thanks for the pics. I'll probably buy one in the near future. Where do you mount the dimmer switch? I wish the white gauge face would be dark during the daytime like the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That looks great..thanks for the pics. I'll probably buy one in the near future. Where do you mount the dimmer switch? I wish the white gauge face would be dark during the daytime like the gauge cluster.
it's not a switch. Its just a resistor that permanently dims the LEDs about 30%. That way the match the main gauges brightness at night. During they day they're still red, but you can also see the actual gauge face, so lighting doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts