Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have always been thinking of tuning my ECU with some open source reflash software. But with the launch of Cobb's new product, i'm wondering if there's anyone here experienced enough to share with us the pros and cons of the 2?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Does the AP have maps for different mods that you have done or is it just map 1, 2, 3, etc. and hopefully your mods fall into one of these.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering the same thing. Does the AP have maps for different mods that you have done or is it just map 1, 2, 3, etc. and hopefully your mods fall into one of these.
actually i'm not so concern about the mods. I can get the ECU custom tuned easily at my regular garage. But its just I'm wondering if there's any added benefits of getting the Cobb's vs open source.

Hopefully someone like... Justin may answer this...

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=a2cpc]The Cobb Accessport is a good product. It is limited in its abilities though. A great product for people like me (not a tuner anymore, just looking for good performance and reliabilty). They have a tuner version for earlier WRXs that is much better for a real tuner. But at 5 the regular Cobb should be the best horsepower for the buck buy around. I will get one, but not until next September or so. [/quote]

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Not to say that I am an expert by any means, what I have been told is that you need to be VERY careful if you are going to use open source software to program your ECU. From what I understand it that open source software is more of a race application, ie tuning the car to a specific race track, straight away lengths for top end, evelation change, average corner speed / acceleration needs and so on.

The AP platform is a more rounded application that can be tweaked to a drivers style.... I would say the best bang for the buck.

If you wanted more out of your AP than stock maps there are a couple of different options. You can go to a local Tuner that uses AP (I have been talking to a AP Tuner in my neck of the woods).

There is a web version of tuning. https://www.pdxtuning.com/services.htm I believe that you can get aftermerket maps based on your mods I think they alow for a tweak or two... They send you the maps... you do some data logging, send them the info and they will slightly alter the map for you. You would need to check with PDX with that issue.

Or Cobb has a street tuner software (not sure if it has been release for the 08) and you can do it yourself. Again, be VERY careful with this option

I am going with the AP in next couple of weeks. I then figured that I would then start to build up a libary of different maps.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I went with the AP... Rallitek has some extra map options that they can send along with the AP if you talk with Sean....

·
Registered
498 Posts
We have a local Open Source tuner in Indy that is very well respected. At our meet last thursday he told me that the software isn't really developed for our ECUs yet. Now, I could be wrong and he might have been talking about the software he liked to use, but he seemed rather adamant(sp) about it. But he does say that when it comes out, that he thinks that even with a consevative tune and no other mods he could get about 225whp out of our cars. ;D

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
We have a local Open Source tuner in Indy that is very well respected. At our meet last thursday he told me that the software isn't really developed for our ECUs yet. Now, I could be wrong and he might have been talking about the software he liked to use, but he seemed rather adamant(sp) about it. But he does say that when it comes out, that he thinks that even with a conservative tune and no other mods he could get about 225whp out of our cars. ;D
EcuFlash has is not currently able to deal with the CAN system on our '08s. Hopefully soon. Right now, AccessPort is the only reflash method available. If your tuner has ProTune you can have a local custom dyno tune done. 225whp seems reasonable, but Subaru has a very small turbo and long intake runners on these engines. A setup for lots of torque, but hinders top end numbers.

Nothing one of our AVO ball-bearing turbos wouldn't cure!

Here is a conservative dynochart of our AVO '380' running on just 91 pump gas:

Thanks!

Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

·
Registered
273 Posts
yah i have the utec, yah not happy with it, going with the AP for it now, so other then that i have a UTEC delta for sale if anyone wants it brand new from PDX

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have a local Open Source tuner in Indy that is very well respected. At our meet last thursday he told me that the software isn't really developed for our ECUs yet. Now, I could be wrong and he might have been talking about the software he liked to use, but he seemed rather adamant(sp) about it. But he does say that when it comes out, that he thinks that even with a consevative tune and no other mods he could get about 225whp out of our cars. ;D
A local tuner said similar things to me. I am still trying to understand it all. He said that he uses street tuner, but would need protuner to use on the 08. Also a, iirc, a cam cable, that is a different cord than the previous models. He also said the stock TMIC could only handle 16 psi, since its from a leggy.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have heard 15 with the TMIC. Well, it starts to super heat the air and without a FMIC then you are not going to get any benefit from it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
so basically after stage2 we need to start thinking about a new intercooler? That kinda sucks LOL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts