Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first project started last Sunday, exactly 1 day after I flew to SoCal to purchase my new STI. I waste no time! lol

I spent the day looking over both Thule MOAB and Yakima Load Warrior options! As a prior owner, and fan of Thule, I had to go with Yakima this go around.

I love the idea of having a fixed basket that has the ability to add other mounts to it, as opposed to having to remove mounts to fit a basket. I often travel to Colorado with Skis, boards, or bikes, and a ton of other gear that can be placed into the basket........ I also have the need to mount wakeboards and surfboards on days I meet friends at the lake.

I bought most of Yakimas suggested equipment to run this system on my hatch. I went ahead and skipped on the cross bars for mounting. Lets face it, having the basket 4" off the roof, and 8" high is not necessary, and looks silly.

A friend and I came up with some slick mounts that we're going to weld onto the basket, and they will pickup on the Yakima cross bar mounts. (Pictured)
I also plan to laser cut a custom fairing that will run all the way down to the roof line and direct air up and over the basket/racks.....

I'm all ears if anyone has any ideas!

All pictures

PW - 121212
http://photobucket.com/yakloadwarrior

Custom brackets

·
Registered
940 Posts
very nice man!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Looks like this is off to a nice start! What are the plans for securing those custom brackets to the Yakima "feet?"

I also like the idea of modularity to allow adding skis/boards/etc in addition to the basket instead of as an alternative.

And lastly, your garage looks gorgeous. I wish I had that much room in mine!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I am very lucky to have a huge work space. Its an industrial rental with 3900sf and two air conditioned offices. Got a deal I couldnt pass up which allowed me and my son to move into a much smaller and cheaper home. I run a couple small business' and an offroad racing campaign out of it and its perfect.....

Elwray, look at the drawings I posted. Those mounts will be welded to the basket and the attached tubes will fit into the Yakima mounts just as a cross bar would.....

Are any of our forum vendors Yakima dealers? I still need bike racks, ski/snowboard, and a few other accessories.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Ah, I see what you mean. Not sure about Yakima dealers ...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final designs on my custom mounts are done! They will be cut and welded today! I hope to get them welded on and painted by the weekend

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the rack up and everything tack welded into place! Going to take it to have it professionally tig welded tomorrow. Then all I'll have to do is paint the raw parts and put it on! Taking my bike to Big Bear to do some downhill riding this weekend!

IMG_20120910_123239.jpg

IMG_20120910_123249.jpg

·
Registered
777 Posts
I feel like Yakima should make something like this already. They need to get on the ball! Really, almost all of their carriers could be way lower to the car. Can't wait to see the final product

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like you could've dropped it a little bit lower, but besides that, it looks fantastic!!
Thanks! At the point where its nearest to the roof of the car there's about a half inch of clearance....

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Yeah to me that looks about as low as it could possibly go - it looks great! Your combo basket + bike rack sits only as high as my ski rack does on its own! Hell, it might be even lower than my ski rack!

What did you use to paint it? Or is it powdercoated?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah to me that looks about as low as it could possibly go - it looks great! Your combo basket + bike rack sits only as high as my ski rack does on its own! Hell, it might be even lower than my ski rack!

What did you use to paint it? Or is it powdercoated?
Thanks! I used plastidip!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts