Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have input regarding ACT clutch kit versus SPEC clutch kit?. Do I NEED to go with an organic set up rather than something like the SPEC one?
I am relying on the community input here, so please speak up if you have an opinion about this. Thanks!

-Steve

Info I have on SPEC follows:

Info on SPEC site for Stage 3+ says:
Types of Driving: Street, Drag, Drift, Road Race, Pulling

For heavily modified street and race engines making more torque than the st3 can support. Offers good daily drivability and better manageability than the stage 3, with even better wear characteristics.

High clamp pressure plate, full-faced carbon metallic friction, high torque sprung hub and disc assembly, bearing and tool kit.

Reply from the guy at Spec when I asked for Advice on clutch selection "The nice thing about the st3+ is it has a carbon based full faced disc, so despite its strength and high capacity, it has a somewhat progressive engagement and does not shock the trans like a puck unit. It is also the longest wearing unit you can buy. It will hold your future power plans just fine and give you breathing room."

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well you already know to stay away from pucked discs, our tranny just wont handle the shock loading. You don't NEED to go with an organic setup but "somewhat progressive" means HARSH engagement. I'd get more info (torque capacity of each choice in ft-lbs) and make your decision based on goals.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have a SPEC Stage 1+ with a SPEC flywheel on my SVT Contour and i love it, dunno how they do on subaru

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
What power levels are you planning on?
The carbon metallic face will be an in between puck and full face organic. The tranny will still jitter if you are in full engagement too soon. I run this setup on my Hachi since it has a power bump of 100% from 100rwhp to 200rwhp. It gives me the grip for drift and road race events. However the overall diameter is much smaller than the WRX.
And the Tq of WRX is higher. The ACT stage 1 is rated up to 30% more clamping power than stock. I have seen the stock WRX clutch assembly used daily driven on vehicles in excess of 350lbft of TQ. Perrin is running their Project 08WRX on a stock clutch also, yes the one with the upgraded turbo that cranks out 380+hp. This should give you an idea of the stock clamping power. ACT stage 1 should be fine if you dont plan on exceeding this level. You might get a hint of jitter but this is a good sign that you have more clamping power. Also the stock unit is pricey.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm not a fan of spec personally. I've heard a couple of stories about them simply repackaging painted oem clutches in a couple of stage 1 and 2 applications. While it probably isn't an issue the majority of the time, I still have no desire to support a company who sells a product that isn't actually what they are describing it as.

·
Registered
752 Posts
if you upgrade the turbo, the stock clutch will only last a hand full of launches.
When choosing a clutch, look at the torque rating. After you upgrade the clutch, start worrying about the tranny.

<-- 2nd Gear :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts