Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 08 WRX a month ago. While I was driving home check engine light came on for p0011. I changed my oil and filter and the code went away. Car ran smooth for the rest of that month. Fast foward to Saturday and the code came back on. I changed the sensor hoping it would fix it and it didn’t.. any suggestions on what I should try next?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey @2008derx I don't know if you've solved your issue.

I ran into P0011 and P0021 codes with my Hawkeye which eventually led to turbo failure (yay turbo upgrade!). Ultimately the issue for me was the filter in the banjo bolts on the AVCS system. By removing them you could save yourself a turbo. There is a Subaru Technical Service Bulletin addressing this issue here.

A more detailed look at the P0011 (and P0021) follows:

To perform a full diagnostic of P0011, aside from a failed AVCS solenoid or cam gear, P0011 can often be caused by oiling issues or timing issues. The AVCS cam gear and solenoid cannot run effectively if the following occur: Low oil levels, dirty or contaminated oil, low oil pressure, oil blockage, or (unrelated to the oiling system) incorrect camshaft timing.

To diagnose oiling problems it's best to start at the beginning, i.e. the oil pan. Check if your oil pickup strainer is clogged, and if the pickup assembly is cracked or otherwise broken. A cracked pickup could cause low oil pressure and starvation. If it is, I recommend the Killer B pickup and pan package. Their pickup is much more robust than the OEM and I've never had issues with their products.

If you do not see a crack or clog, move on to the oil pump. If your pump is faulty it will not build pressure. IIRC the '08 has an 11mm pump which in my experience is pretty robust, however, if you are digging this far into the engine to check the oiling system, I highly recommend installing the JDM 12mm pump. It's a direct replacement and pushes 20% more oil over the 11mm.

Keep moving down the oiling system to the AVCS inline filters and make sure they are not clogged. During this step, I recommend that you remove the inline filters on the AVCS per Subaru TSB noted above.

Incorrect timing can also cause P0011. Check your timing making sure it hasn't skipped a tooth or more. Check the belt tensioner and the rest of the timing system.

I hope this helps. Of course, if you do not feel qualified to perform the work yourself, take the car to an ASE Certified Subaru Master Technician. They have likely seen this issue before and will know how to help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts