Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Polish, though I always used a product called Wet Paint. It doesn't actually remove the swirls, but it fills them in for months at a time. It's sort of like the swiss army knife of detailing products, only it doesn't suck like most of the off the shelf stuff. You gotta order it by phone though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Polish, though I always used a product called Wet Paint. It doesn't actually remove the swirls, but it fills them in for months at a time. It's sort of like the swiss army knife of detailing products, only it doesn't suck like most of the off the shelf stuff. You gotta order it by phone though.
do u have the number by any chance?? thanks ;)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
800-325-3145

Here's the website:
www.wetpaintglaze.com

I have used it mainly in conjunction with a few soft spray on / wipe off sealants, but those light sealants wore off really fast and were probably totally unnecessary as this stuff acts as a sealant itself and lasts a while. I need to remember to order a freaking bottle of this, I haven't washed my WRX by hand yet. It very desperately needs to be clayed and sealed before too much longer.

The directions say that you should use terrycloth towels and not microfiber during application, but I started using microfiber to buff it out afterwards and I think that it turns out better. I mean you can use microfiber for everything if you want, but if you use terrycloth you don't need to wash your car beforehand or be as careful as it will not as eagerly use the particles it picks up to mar up your paint, which is important if you are lazy like myself. I usually go to one of those car wash bays and use the high pressure sprayers to soap it up and rinse it down prior to using this stuff though, but that's about the extent of it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
last time i tried to wash my car in a public car wash bay some dude tried to rob me at gun point. def not going back there and its the only one around here too.... i guess its home washes for me!

·
Registered
577 Posts
you may want to look into some polishing compounds and a dual action polisher.

look into the poorboys swirl remover kits on autogeek.net. I have used that line of products and they are great for a beginner. they actually remove the swirls safely and not just fill them in.

it can kind of expensive but it beats a new paint job.

PM me if you have any questions. 8)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have the DGM paint and it also swirls up bad. I used Mcguire's scratch X and then immediately applied a coat of NU Finish. It seemed to do the job! I hadn't seen it really shine like that since I bought it. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
last time i tried to wash my car in a public car wash bay some dude tried to rob me at gun point. def not going back there and its the only one around here too.... i guess its home washes for me!
I washed my car at a bay this last weekend...it made me think of you. I didn't get robbed though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yea i had really bad swirls after letting a place wash my car. (stupidly) and scratch-x plus meguires Gold Class and she looked almost as good as new.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yea i had really bad swirls after letting a place wash my car. (stupidly) and scratch-x plus meguires Gold Class and she looked almost as good as new.
My car is swirled up everywhere and wanna get rid of it once it warms up. What type of towel did you apply the scratch x plus with? all my stuff swirls my car up!

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Most stuff you'll want to use a fresh micro-fiber cloth...

They sell big ol' packs of them just about everywhere (even BJs haha)

·
Registered
328 Posts
alright so micro fibers it is. Is that good for putting wax on. I use black ice spray mostly since its simple to put on.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Yeah essentially if it's being put on my car I use micro-fiber...

Some exceptions, but you can't go wrong with it for the most part...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah essentially if it's being put on my car I use micro-fiber...

Some exceptions, but you can't go wrong with it for the most part...
Holy crap that was a fast reply, like aol instant messaging or something. Your the man, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I would be careful about using scratchx or some other abrasive product on your paint on a regular basis as it can dull down and ruin the paint over repeated uses, which will be necessary given the willingness for dark colored paints to show swirl marks. I mean you can wipe something off your car and boom, there's a swirl mark. The BEST way that I have found to get rid of swirls is a product called "Wet Paint". It fills in the swirls for months at a time and helps keep your car cleaner overall for a long time, like a wax, only much more durable. I mean the alternative is to get a polish and go through the whole process, but you'd still have to apply a sealant or wax after, at least if you want to keep the paint from being swirled again.

It's actually quick-detailer/glaze/sealant type product, and it pretty much completely removes the appearance of the swirls for up to 3-4 months at a time depending on how often you wash your car. Most of those all in one detailing products do it all, but usually very badly. This actually does it well, better than many of the dedicated detailers/sealants. I'd recommend clay-barring the car beforehand so you can get all the crap out of the paint before you seal over it with this product.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts