Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I did a pretty easy DIY project today. Just painted my front and rear calipers. I didnt remove them and spray them , all I did was used painters tape (The blue stuff) and put it on the rotor just to make sure I didnt get any paint on there. Then got some paint brushes from the local craft store and sprayed the Paint into a glass and began painting away. It took me about 3-4 hours to do cause I had to jack up the car and do each tire at a time. Man if I had a lift it would of taken me half the time. Here are some pics...

Front:

Rear:

Front with wheel on:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sweet Man!! ;D

What kind of paint did u use?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Looks Good Lou!! Is that red or orange? I'm guessing red!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LMFAO Yeah its red TK. I said the same thing after I took the pic I was like man that looks orange in the pic. HaHa

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Looks good...I would do a glossy black ;D

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I used the Duplicolor paint kit to do mine in red. The only prep was the brake cleaner spray that came with the kit, and a little scrubbing with an old tooth brush. Its been over a month now and the paint looks GREAT with no flaking/bubbling/peeling/ect. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I used the Duplicolor paint kit to do mine in red. The only prep was the brake cleaner spray that came with the kit, and a little scrubbing with an old tooth brush. Its been over a month now and the paint looks GREAT with no flaking/bubbling/peeling/ect. I would recommend it.
So you sprayed the paint on? How much of a PITA was masking?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The paint is actually a brush on type. Despite what you would expect though, there are no brush marks in the dried paint. The brush application also means that you have MUCH more control over where the paint does and doesn't go, and so with a little patience, you can have a nice neat job. Also, one coat of the stuff covered fabulously, so I can only imagine that black would cover even better.

I'd highly recommend it. It's cheap (17?), available (got mine from Advance, I think they have it at other autoparts stores), and genuinely easy.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

-Steve

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The paint is actually a brush on type. Despite what you would expect though, there are no brush marks in the dried paint. The brush application also means that you have MUCH more control over where the paint does and doesn't go, and so with a little patience, you can have a nice neat job. Also, one coat of the stuff covered fabulously, so I can only imagine that black would cover even better.

I'd highly recommend it. It's cheap (17?), available (got mine from Advance, I think they have it at other autoparts stores), and genuinely easy.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

-Steve
Wow now I wonder why I didn't do this sooner! I assumed that it would involve hours of masking per wheel to do a decent job. Thanks for all the info. +1 for you!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Wow now I wonder why I didn't do this sooner! I assumed that it would involve hours of masking per wheel to do a decent job. Thanks for all the info. +1 for you!
Thanks! Its a really easy/cheap thing to do that really sets off the look in profile, even with the stock rims that don't show much caliper. It takes a bit of time, but time is something that I have (in contrast to $$!) and like to spend on the car.

One more side note, its pretty easy to get at the back of the rear calipers from behind the car, even with the rims on (with the rear on ramps, in my case). The backs of the front calipers are more difficult, I just painted as much as I could reach with the wheels off, and called it a day. No one will ever know but me...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used the same Duplicolor kit to paint my calipers as well! I would completely recommend it to anybody. I was a bit skeptical at first with the whole brush on thing but once dry, everything looks awesome! If you're looking to paint your calipers, definitely look into this. Very cheap and easy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I really want to paint my calipers white with the brush on kit...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Not bad!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts