Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased new wheels and tires, and they were mounted for me at the shop, then shipped to me. Am I going to have the tire shop dismount the new tire and old tire, take out the TPS, and remount? If this is the case, it's going to be expensive :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just purchased new wheels and tires, and they were mounted for me at the shop, then shipped to me. Am I going to have the tire shop dismount the new tire and old tire, take out the TPS, and remount? If this is the case, it's going to be expensive :(
If you can live with the warning light, and can remember to check your tire pressures at least every other week, then you don't have to do that. You could wait until the next replace-the-tires cycle and get TPMS units from; e.g., tirerack.com.

·
Registered
646 Posts
yeah that light is annoying, it stays on mine. ill probably just live with it unless i ever take the stock tires off the stock wheels then ill swap them

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hurray for the canadian WRX which dont come with this silly option !!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would bet that most tire shops will charge about 10-15 per tire not that expensive and to me worth the peace of mind.

Seth

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is the TPS difficult to remove and then replace when installing new wheels?

If so, that would suck. Im not a big fan of paying somebody for something that I can do myself.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The TPMS sensors are not hard to remove. If you get new wheels just have the tire shop move the sensors from the old rims to the new ones. And then you don't have the light issue.

Seth

·
Registered
66 Posts
Grayson Subaru...I give to give a shout to K-town TN...go Vols! How long has Grayson had Subaru? I've been away for a while...Harper had it when I lived there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Harper sold the subaru franchise late in 2002. We officially started selling them Jan. 1 2003 (we actually went to the harper store and brought the inventory to our store that day). I dont remember 2003 sales numbers, but know they were pretty good. I know we have been #1 in TN in subaru volume sales since 2004. I would have to check on 2003 numbers.

I have been with Grayson Since Jan. 2002.

lady vols lost last night. they just played flat and didnt really seem to be motivated. I am looking forward to the boys game againt memphis on the 23rd though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So, speaking of the TPMS, I should have a winter wheel/tire set on my doorstep when I get home tonight, with TPMS installed.

Does anyone know how to register the new TPMS units to the car (other than by going to the dealer)? I can get to a dealer, but it's an inconvenience.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hurray for the canadian WRX which dont come with this silly option !!
WORD--Actually my Enkei NT03's have 2 valve stems: So that you can check the tire pressure on one as you add air with the other! Also glad that the Cdn Car comes fully equipped w/ Prem. Package. Don't really care about the fact that Navi isn't available: I'd rather buy my own system if I want to at a 1/4 of the cost. I do wish that we got the 10 speaker stereo instead of the standard 6-spkr setup. Oh well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is the TPMS for the 08 the same as the ones for the past models, I read on other forums that people tried mounting all of the sensors into the spare tire and the system should detect them. However if the sensors need to detect motion then I dont think it will work.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't know how you would mount them all on the spare. The sensor is part of the valve stem.

Seth

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 08 TPMS system does detect motion and you will need to go to the dealer to have the system reset each time a set of wheels is put on with the car. In order to reset the system, you need a laptop with the Subaru Select software as well as the Tire Pressure Monitor re-set tool.

Here is some good info about the system.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiremonitor.html

Although, this system is a major PIA for those of us who swap wheels and tires on a regular basis, it is a helpful system for the majority of the population who have no understanding on how to operate an air pressure gauge.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wouldnt it be easier to just remove the light in the gauge cluster and call it a day?
Most of us can tell if a tire is low and I check my air pressure every oil change unless it looks visably low.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts