Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Perrin CAI and installed it today. Just thought I'd share some initial impressions of the product / install. For starters - I decided to go with the Perrin because I am planning to get an AccessPort soon and liked the idea of having a Stage 1 map to go specifically with their intake.

The intake was really easy (<1hr start to finish) and the only part that was tricky was getting the silicone fitting onto the turbo inlet hose, the fit is very tight. Some noteworthy points on the install:

- When removing the stock airbox, after taking out the rear part of the box and airfilter, unbolt the top bolt (10mm) from the airbox first, then just pull really hard to remove the rest of it. I wouldn't even bother trying to loosen the bottom bolt because there isn't much space and its easier to just use a bit of force here.

- Tightening clamps requires a 11mm socket

I was a little confused about the positioning of the filter to the cold air and MAF pipes because on my other cars it has always been ordered: filter -> cold air pipe -> MAF pipe w/sensor -> inlet hose
However, the Perrin is different, being ordered: filter -> MAF pipe w/sensor -> cold air pipe -> turbo inlet hose

Can anyone explain why this is, and would it really make a difference it they were switched around (other than fitment issues)?

The intake sounds great and you can actually hear the BPV, which is cool. I don't really notice much of a power gain, but acceleration sounds wicked and throttle response is definitely better. I will get to the real power gains when I get my AP.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The location alters the intake air temp read my the maf.
The location closer to the fender yields a lower temp than the closer to inlet pipe. This causes the system to run a bit richer.
The closer to inlet is closer to actual intake air temp into the turbo.
The difference when thinking about the air into the engine is minimal as the turbo heats the air up anyways. But this is grounds to as to the way Perrin tunes for their intake as opposed to UR or Injen with the sensor housing closer to the inlet tube.
A part in the tune has to have a modifyer to compensate for the difference in temps the maf reads in the different locations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts