Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Stage 2 stuff arrived today... Perrin DP, CAI, and AccessPort. The DP is already installed. I'm waiting to install the CAI until the AP Map shows up in my email. Right now I'm using a "borrowed" 91 oct Stage 2 map for the stock intake.

But my question is this... those of you with this DP, what are you doing for a heat shield, if anything? The stocker sure doesn't fit over it. I'm not sure if the Cobb one will either. If it does, I would order it.

My long-term plans (in a month or two) are to add a Perrin FMIC, so at that point, heat shielding won't be needed. But until then, I'm not sure what (if anything) I should do.

DP installation wasn't too bad. The first pain was finding all the bolts holding the heat shield on. With that out of the way, the next pain was getting the bolts loose holding the stock DP to the turbo. The third pain was finding the last DP bolt, since it was hiding. :)

Next, I removed the two spring-bolts from the catback to the stock DP, I removed the O2 sensor, the two bolts holding the stock DP to the chassis, and the two bolts holding the two halves of the DP together. The bottom half came out first, following by the upper half. Installation of the Perrin DP was a breeze by comparison.

Now I'm eager for that new map to arrive so I can get the CAI installed. My short, initial drive was VERY positive. Holy crap this thing has torque!! (not that it didn't before, but now, WOW)

Rob

·
Registered
230 Posts
From what I have heard, most will trim the oem heat shield to fit. And I have also heard that the Cobb heat shield will work with most aftermarket DPS. But, I am not an expert at this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The cobb heat shield should work. The cobb one isn't form fitting on the cobb DP, it's raised off the dp and the turbo. I'll be willing to go so far as I will bet my first adopted child the cobb HS will work.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have been running my DP for 6 months without a heat shield. I keep checking my CV boot, it hasn't shown any signs of heat damage.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the Cobb shield yesterday... should have it Weds. I keep checking the bolts on the back of the turbo to the DP to make sure they're tight, and then the heat shield will top everything off.

BTW, I'm still waiting on my Perrin Stage 2 program to arrive so I can install the CAI... they really need to have more than one person and one computer who can send those out.

Rob

·
Registered
646 Posts
the cobb fits over my turboxs...it sits really far up...its a really nice piece and makes that area of the bay look alot better

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have been running my DP for 6 months without a heat shield. I keep checking my CV boot, it hasn't shown any signs of heat damage.
You should get a heat shield on there. Our turbos sit just below our intercoolers, so unless you like excess heatsoak, cover that turbo.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Cobb heat shield showed up on Wednesday and was on in about 15 minutes. It does really sharp!

Now I have a weird problem... I need to check all the connections to the CAI and be sure it's all good. The car's running funky... when you push the clutch in to come to a stop, the RPMs drop WAY down, and sometimes it acts like it wants to stall (but hasn't yet).

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts