Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can now put my right should back into it's socket! ;)

The Perrin Short Shifter Adapter that I had in my 02 WRX has been successfully installed in the 08. For those who don't know, Perrin Performance makes a Short Shifter Adapter that is designed to be used on the OEM shift lever. By using this adapter, one maintains the use of the factory rubber-filled, vibration dampening shift lever. Also, the adapter allows the user to adjust the length of the shift throws.

The Perrin SSA comes with simple, straight-forward instructions. Basically, follow coopwrx's directions until you get the the part about removing the shift lever. Don't remove the shift lever. Rotate the shift lever 180 degrees, and slide the Perrin Short Shifter Adapter over the change lever. Install the shift lever bushings and pivot into the Perrin SSA, and attach the linkage. Being sure that the shift lever is straight and not twisted to one side or the other, tighten the adapter and check the throws. You can then loosen the adapter and slide it up and down the change lever to adjust your throws. Mine is at 58mm below the top of the shift lever body.

My little story:

I originally tried this a week or so ago, but rather than locating the adapter somewhere mid-shaft on the shift lever, I placed it as far down the change lever as it could go. My thinking was that this position would emulate the OEM shifter throws, and I could adjust the adapter up from there to dial in the shorter throws I desired. This was wrong. This location caused the pivot point to pull upwards when accessing gears 2, 4, and R. the end result was shifts to 1, 3, and 5 were about twice as long as those to 2, 4, and R. Also, throws to 2, 4, and R were scary short, to the point where I questions whether I was in gear or not. After a very short test drive, the adapter was removed, and the OEM shift lever configuration was restored.

Last week I contacted Perrin regarding my dilemma. they responded very quickly and were supportive. This weekend I installed the adapter again, this time starting with the adapter somewhere in the middle of the shift lever. That was the ticket! The adapter is now installed, and after some minor adjusting, is working as well as it did in my 02.

Installed:

The current position of the adapter allows for a significant reduction in throws, yet is not positioned high enough as to cause the linkage to contact plate surrounding the shifter. I have no binding anywhere. I could modify the surround plate and adjust the adapter up farther for even shorter shifts, but I am happy where things are right now.

Shifts now are crisper and shorter, but aren't overly notchy feeling. Installation was a cakewalk. I am very happy. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i like that idea. could you help me with step by step taking that plate off to get access to that shifter? i have tried briefly but am afraid im going ot break it. :-\

·
Registered
18 Posts
You mention that the shifts don't have that notchy feeling anymore....this may be a solution to my problem that i posted in the technical about my gears not shifting smoothly mainly into 1st and 2nd......is it a very considerable difference....like butter smooth?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Josh - sorry about the late reply. i'll try to do up some pics for you.

Schabek - I said it isn't overly notchy. You can feel the sychros more than if you have no short shifter installed, but I personally don't think it is too bad.

jwrx08 - The Perrin short Shift Adapter continues to perform just fine in this car. I have been meaning to remove the console cover and check things out to make sure everything is where it should be. The only issue I have experienced with this adapter is sometimes, over time, the change lever can rotate slightly in the adapter. When this happens, the shifter positions get a little off. when this happened on my 02, some gears would be a little difficult to access, excessive notchiness would occur, or upshifts from 3 to 4 would require me to pay attention, as the change lever wanted to gravitate more towards 2 from 3. I have not noticed any of these issues with the adapter on this car. Maybe the surface of teh change lever somehow offers a little more grip for the adapter. i don't know. even though it's working fine, I still want to inspect it to make sure and see how the lube (between the rod and the rubber gasket) is holding up.

CN: I'll take pics, shorter shifts = more synchro feel = some notchifeelcation, 3 months in place and no problems.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That adapter sounds pretty sweet!

Is it possible to adjust the knobb height on the stock shifter? Or do we still need to purchase an after-market short shifter for that?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That adapter sounds pretty sweet!

Is it possible to adjust the knobb height on the stock shifter? Or do we still need to purchase an after-market short shifter for that?
There is no way to adjust the knob lower on the OEM change lever. However, by removing the OEM shift knob and installing a kartboy knuckleball shift knob, i lowered the height by about 0.75" It did make a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts