Subaru WRX Forums banner

Perrin Stage 1 93 Octane

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  chanke4252 
#1 ·
I just bought the Cobb AP from Perrin and got their stage 1 93 octane map as well. I flashed the Perrin map only, so I don't have anything to compare it too, but WOW. From what I had heard I wasn't sure I was going to be able to feel the difference, but i sure can. It revs faster and pulls much harder. The overall feeling is that it is much smoother as well. Very happy with it. Not sure I even want to go to stage 2 yet, as this was such an improvement. I don't have any dyno info to report unfortunately.

One thing. The map must have changed something in the lower RPMs as well because now things are a bit different taking off in 1st gear at a normal driving pace. If I start driving like I used to, the car will almost die. I have to give it a bit more gas earlier. But, one complaint I had with the car at first was that it was hard to take off slowly, the car wanted to lurch a bit. But now that I have gotten used to it, I am having to relearn it. Not a big deal at all. Kind of like getting into a car you haven't driven before.

My review?
I give it 3 thumbs up. :D

#2 ·
I noticed that I was killing the WRX periodically because I would always take off around idle and not always pay attention. I now usually give the throttle a quick blip right before I take out the clutch so I'm not letting it out at very low rpms close to idle and killing it.

#4 ·
Perrin Stage I = ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I plan on going to stage II, but instead of using a OTS map, getting a ProTune. OTS maps are tuned for the masses, but ProTuned Map is designed for your car and will make more power than an OTS map, under safer circumstances.

#8 ·
You're not the first person to have this reaction. It makes me wonder, that with such noticable results in the stage 1, is it really worth while to go stage 2? I have heard nothign but problems with cobb and Perrin stage 2.
I plan on going to stage II, but instead of using a OTS map, getting a ProTune. OTS maps are tuned for the masses, but ProTuned Map is designed for your car and will make more power than an OTS map, under safer circumstances.
This is getting a bit out of topic but.. if you plan on going Stage 2, is it a waste to go with cobb/perrin access port's, would something less restrictive like a ECUtek make more sense.. Just something I was wondering?

#9 ·
You're not the first person to have this reaction. It makes me wonder, that with such noticable results in the stage 1, is it really worth while to go stage 2? I have heard nothign but problems with cobb and Perrin stage 2.
This is getting a bit out of topic but.. if you plan on going Stage 2, is it a waste to go with cobb/perrin access port's, would something less restrictive like a ECUtek make more sense.. Just something I was wondering?
So were you thinking of tuning it yourself using ECUTek Software yeah you will save money, Not to say that you don't know what you are doing, but be careful you can really mess up your car. With ECUTek it is less expensive up front, but ECUek protunes are are more expensive than AP PROTunes. Unless you tune it yourself you will just be breaking even, but paying a little more for the AP. One major difference, AP gives you the ability to change maps on the fly, using the small hand held unit (I have about 15 different maps on my AP). ECUTek you need a laptop at a min.

#6 ·
I have been talked with a few tuners and they all have said a properly tuned car will get about the same gas milage as I am getting, around 21 - 23 mpg.
I don't know if they were feeding me a line of BS but more than 2 tuners have said the same thing.

#7 ·
Not sure if I will go stage 2 or not. If I do, I might wait for the SPT intake to come out and see if anyone tunes for that as part of a stage 2. Think I will be happy with this for awhile and go for wheels/tires/suspension and a couple cosmetic mods i.e. STI wing.

#12 ·
From what I've seen, those people who have problems with the stage II reflashes often are using catless downpipes, or try to sneak some other mod on there that the map isn't made for. if I weren't pro-tuned, I would be very careful to follow the requirements put forth by the map maker. cars are too expensive and there is too much potential to damage things to play it cheap, especially with more aggressive mapping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.