Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, well i just got my Stage 1 Rev.2 map, but now I have a problem. Here in AZ, and back in my native state of CA, all we can get is crappy 91. I REALLY want to run my new map, but I can't get any 93 (no one has a 91 map do they?), so I am sort of afraid to try it. Here are my questions: would running 100 octane be ok? If not, would running 91 with octane booster (Torco) be ok? Finally, should I just run it on 91 and check my Dynamic Advance under boost? I just don't want to break my engine!! :'(

·
Registered
344 Posts
You could get away with the octane boost, but that could get to be pricey just to drive around town. Also you dont want the whole tank being 100 all the time either, you could burn out the cat prematurely :-[

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was reading around, and it seems like you can mix 100 and 91 to make 93. This link -- http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.com/OctaneCalculator.html , has a mixture calculator and it seems like 93 would be pretty cheap/easy to mix. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I think I'm going to give it a try later tonight once the temperature goes below 70. I just guess I'll keep a close eye on the Dynamic Advance.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yep you can mix it, Goodluck then... You are gonna love that map ;D

·
Registered
549 Posts
usually its okay to run acn 91 but just stay away from cheap gas. only pump: cheveron, mobil, shell, 76

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I did it. I chose the mixing method and did like 2 gallons of 100 and 7 of 91. It is running perfectly, or at least it seems. My Dynamic Advance is between either 5 or 6 under WOT, and it looked like it held there all the way till redline. I also checked the boost gauge (on the AP) and I am hitting 14.8 PSI max. Definitely not 16psi, but for sure good enough for stage 1. Anyway, the map itself is just awesome, I can't wait to drive it some more.

P.S. I did a little quick run with just 91 in it, and my D.A. was still 5-6, you guys think maybe 91 is ok to run in it?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think its cool that your mixing your own gas sorta Madd Maxx-ish. 14.8psi is a good number to see, no one using that map that I know of has ever seen the 16 ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh, Mad Maxxish :D
Well so far so good, even in the daytime heat of Tucson she pulls hard with no noticeable knock and the same DA numbers. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
150 Posts
So is it safe to take this as an indication that it would be ok to run this 93OCT map with 92OCT pump gas we get here in Oregon?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Some say yes, some say no... The OP decided to mix his own "home brew" 93oct. I would recommend 93 for aggressive driving IMO ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So is it safe to take this as an indication that it would be ok to run this 93OCT map with 92OCT pump gas we get here in Oregon?
I think it'll run safely on the 91 I get here (from good stations though; shell, 76, chevron). I actually did do some just 91 pulls and everything was exactly the same. However, in the interest of long term safety, you may want to be cautious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts