Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Car tuned today by Jeff Perrin and Tim Bailey. End results were 230hp and 320lbs tq.
I was hoping to see more HP but the WRX is limited by the stock turbo but not bad with only a turbo back exhaust. I learned alot from Jeff about the 08.
All of the dyno runs done in 5th gear

Perrin's stage1 vs perrin/surgeline tuning stage 2 18.2 psi

Rallitek stage2 vs Perrin/Surgeline tuning stage 2 18.2 psi

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: Perrin/surgeline tuning with Invidia Catted down pipe and SPT CBE

Yeah the stock turbo runs out of steam towards the higher range. It happened to me too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: Perrin/surgeline tuning with Invidia Catted down pipe and SPT CBE

I had my 08 tuned by Tim last weekend in Indy and it had about the same numbers. I only had a TBE and Perrin TMIC as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Re: Perrin/surgeline tuning with Invidia Catted down pipe and SPT CBE * UPDATED

that is some sick numbers....i wish they had a 91 oct stage 2 with CAI intake for me....right now im running the rallitek stage 2 and the car is totally different. Its a beast.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
thats a weird dyno. Never seen one like that before.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
anything that I have ever seen rleated to dynapack dynos says that they tend to read very high.

·
Registered
22 Posts
230hp @ stage 2? Man, that makes me kind of sad. The stock turbo is just TOO small. Look at how severely that power drops off, and there is nothing tuning can do for you. Unfortunately, those higher RPM's would be great for some better HP numbers if the stupid turbo could just hold decent torque up into the 4k+ range. I am really starting to question the usability of this turbo. I mean honestly, it is totally dead before 2k, hits way hard all of the sudden, and then just as quickly it dies out before the car can really rev up. What can we do about this guys? Obviously replace the turbo, but with what? So many of the choices out there seem so extreme, plus the bigger housings will really just add more lag, which I really hate. All I know is I want even HP and TQ output -- you step on the gas, you wait, then its the explosion of 320 ft/lbs @ 2800 RPM, and then it just dies so pathetically. The funny part is how the turbo makes such amazing power in a part of the RPM band where the engine is DEAD under no boost; The powerband is just too low, I feel like any RPM's over about 4500 are just a waste of gas. I'd rather have peak torque where it used to be in the WRX, it felt a lot faster all around IMO. Has anyone else noticed this? Plus, its not like the turbo is fabulously responsive either. From my experience it lags the most in the RPM's where it makes the most power. By the time the damn thing kicks in you are already past the narrow ass powerband. Try flooring the car from 2000 rpm to redline, it goes a little something like this: no power whatsoever, nearly no power, TORQUE OUT THE ASS, tapering off, slow again now, but making a ton of noise so it seems like it should be fast -- shift up and it kicks you right into the very end of that minuscule torque curve. This really pisses me off, it seems like there is no real fast way to drive the car, god knows where the shift points are. I seriously think it may be faster to just make the redline 5000, at least that way you actually up shift into your powerband. ARGHHH!!! [/RANT]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts