Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lisened to a lot of people complain about the looks of the plastic intake (agree), but I also remember that the old metal one soaked heat from the engine block and there was a mod to add ceramic spacers to reduce this. I guess with the plastic intake this is now not a problem and you are basically supplying cooler air after the intercooler. Ie it is not being heated again by the metal intake. If you are after performance and not looks maybe the plastic intake is better?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Other things to consider:
Most major Subaru tuners agree that the stock intake is adequate to power levels in the 400HP range. It also has the following advantages:

• The standard air scoop is mounted high in the engine bay. This makes it resistant to ingress of water. The design of the fender snorkel helps to remove any water that is drawn in by this scoop.
  • Air drawn in is cool, since the air comes from the edge of the engine bay, and at speed, all air will be drawn from outside.
  • The standard system is quiet since the resonator in the fender helps filter out noise from the air flow.
  • The stock ECU is calibrated to work perfectly with the stock intake system.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I think that you are talking about the intake maniflid not the intake air box. The intake maniflid does not get as hot as the old metal ones.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that you are talking about the intake maniflid not the intake air box. The intake maniflid does not get as hot as the old metal ones.
Yes that's right the inlet manifold that use to be metal on previous WRXs after the intercooler.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
It surprises me to some degree that they made the intake manifold plastic...although it is:

-Lighter weight
-Does stay cooler
-Cheaper

...even though you do get the feeling that it cheapens things...most people consider plastic exclusively a cost saving measure

...on the bright side, if you mod your intake manifold, plastic is easier to mess with when grinding or drilling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts