Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if I can get any advice on this issue:

My WRX has done around 2,500 miles and I just noticed that there is clearly a circular groove on the outside of the brake rotor of both the 2 front wheels. The circular groove is not deep, I can feel roughness if I touch it with my fingers. The back brake rotors are fine.

Is this normal and acceptable or should I go back to the Subaru dealer to ask them to check?

Will the rough grooves affect the efficiency of the braking of the car?

Thanks!

ps. edit - photo attached

Attachments

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Looks like something got in there, like a pebble or something. But no, that is not normal. The pad surface should be smooth and uniform, with no big rings like that, or dark blotches. I mean I can't imagine it would cause any problems other than maybe slightly worse brake performance if the pad isn't actually coming into contact with the grooved area of the rotor, but you never know.

Either way, I personally would say that it's not acceptable and I would either fix it, or have them fix it (depending on when it occurred), though I doubt it would cause any serious safety issues. I would probably have them resurfaced or replaced to get rid of it just to prevent any weird wearing of the pads and continued abnormal wear pattern of the disks as a result, but I would think that would depend on how deep it is. You could pop the pad out and make sure it isn't malformed or something such that the groove is just the result of the pad not putting any pressure on the rotor in those areas, or because there is a stone or piece of debris pressed into it or something.

If it is the case that they (the grooves) just showed up and the groove isn't actually cut into the iron of the rotors then you could try rebedding them to see if you can lay a fresh layer of pad material down on the area, or just giving it a few more miles to see if your pads lay down a fresh surface. Keep in mind that I'm anal about pad bedding (as fun as warped rotors are), and it's probably not completely necessary since the groove doesn't completely dominate the disk, but my opinion on the topic is that there's no reason not to (other than possibly not wanting to punish your brake fluid).

If the groove is deep (by this I mean if it is actually cut into the metal of the rotor), then you'll have to have the rotors resurfaced or replaced, or just deal with it.

I'm sure that since your car only has 2,500 miles on it that your dealer would have a quick look at it for free (unless they are total dicks).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advise.
Its really helpful.
I shall fix an appointment with the dealer to check out the brakes.

Edit Update:

I brought the car to the dealership's workshop and they have serviced the brakes and smooth out the groove on the discs. According to them, the grooves are caused by small stones or sands caught in between the brake pads and the discs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts