Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 09 WRX today. Whilst driving, i noticed both the hill assist and traction control lights remained illuminated while driving. I asked the previous owner what was up and he told me that he broke a wire when he tried to replace the OEM steering. He said he got everything fixed, but the head tech guy at the subaru dealership wanted $600 to do a reset to resume the functionality of hill assist and traction control.
So as you can assume, i don't want to pay $600 for somebody to press a few buttons. Anybody have any info on this?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I believe that means you are in limp mode (or does it flash for limp mode?). Did you try unplugging the battery negative and then reattaching it? I got mine into limp mode once because I tried to start it with something unplugged. Unplugged the battery and it went back to normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that means you are in limp mode (or does it flash for limp mode?). Did you try unplugging the battery negative and then reattaching it? I got mine into limp mode once because I tried to start it with something unplugged. Unplugged the battery and it went back to normal.

Tried this, didn't do anything! :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when you remove the negative battery terminal tap the brake pedal to drain any charge in the system before hooking the battery up again.

Cool, i will try this tomorrow. Do i do this for a certain length of time or just a couple pumps?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thanks. I'm guessing it doesn't matter how long I keep the battery disconnected for, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, mate. Will try this ASAP. Hopefully this does the trick. If not, then... ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried draining the charge. Did not work :( . Anybody else have any idea?

Oh and when i say traction control and hill assist lights, i mean the warning lights (the ones with the slashes going through them, signifying that they are de- activated)

·
Registered
115 Posts
there is a small sensor/button on the back of the brake pedal that is probably out of adjustment, sounds like what happened to me year or so ago

·
Registered
777 Posts
Try taking it down to advance auto, etc and reading the codes (if there are any). If there are some, right them down and post them up here, then clear them with the code reader. Drive the car and see if the lights come back or not.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wonder if this is a problem with the '09. It took me forever to search this issue because its so specific, but it seems like a lot of '09's are having this issue. I havent taken my car to the dealer yet, but here is what we are looking at:

I couldn't tell what was triggering it until last night i realized it occurs after random breaking. slow speeds, turning and braking, or downhill braking. While the lights are on the cruise control does not work, nor can you turn on traction control.

Where is the button on the back of the pedal? This is an annoying issue.

The lights on are traction control off, hill assist, and ABS. CEL is not one of the lights. The lights do not flash, they are steady till you turn the car off. The lights dont turn on every time you drive it.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Not sure if this is related but when I replaced my steering rack bushings I had a couple of those lights come on because the steering wheel was out of alignment. After some research found there is a steering wheel angle sensor or something that was triggered because the wheel was crooked. Is your wheel straight or is it out center when your wheels are straight?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is your wheel straight or is it out center when your wheels are straight?

Straight as an arrow. On other cars I've had wheel alignment issues that caused drift in one direction or another. Probably the most annoying thing to deal with in regular highway driving.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Remounting the steering wheel? Is it actually "centered" 5-10 degrees off? As in, do you get identical distance lock to lock?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts