Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my clutch is going out (or TOB). I have a squeak that I've never had, and it only happens when the clutch is fully engaged (even in neutral just idling).

Not sure which clutch I want to replace it with just yet, but I'm concerned with install costs. With a clutch/flywheel combo running probably $600, how much should I expect to pay a shop to install it? I'm worried this could easily turn into a $1000+ undertaking...

Should I have the dealer install it? Or should I take it to my tuner in Chicago and have them do it? IIRC, dealer labor rates are a lot less than my tuner.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Local, reputable shops seem to charge 300-400 for an install only.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I'll make some phone calls tomorrow when places are open. I've considered doing it myself via pulling the motor, but I'd probably spend about the same as a shop would charge to install after buying an engine hoist, required tools, etc...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Probably takes about 8 hours to a day if you do it in the garage. Jack, 4 stands, extensions, swivel sockets and an extra pair of hands are essential.
absolutely truth - been there. manageable though if you know what you're doing. dealers quote 6 hours of labor to do a clutch change. locally that means $600-$700+ depending on shop rates.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Wait a sec before you swap your clutch because of a squeak, is it kinda a chirping cricket noise?
If so its a throw out bearing, and fairly common.
I have an aftermarket clutch/flywheel that they greased the PISS out of and it still does it every once in a while.
$1600 for excedy stage 2 clutch, lightened flywheel, and redline oil swap.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I charge $500 + parts but if you have access to a lift and have basic mechanical skills, a Subaru clutch is a very straight forward job. Just go to the SPT website and print out instructions for their flywheel if you dont have a FSM.

If you are modded (and I think you are) I wouldn't take the car to the dealer for a clutch.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
$300 is the going rate in socal.
$650 or so with hardware and fluids.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just talked to the local suby dealer (just for kicks). 6.5 hours of labor @ $92/hour. Unless I can find somewhere around here that will do it for $300ish, I'll definitely be doing this myself. It will be a good excuse to buy some more tools and goodies anyway.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Seriously? I have friends that will do it if you buy the Coors Light, lol. I have them do anything and everything to my car...$40 worth of beer that I can drink as well is not a bad deal. They do awesome work too. So if you are close to the quad cities (on Iowa/Illinois border) you could probably talk them into it during a weekend or whatever.

Btw, who is your tuner?

j

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not far at all. That would be a couple hours drive. I might seriously look into that!

My tuner is Mike Cerra at Benchmark Tuning. I'm going in to talk to him this afternoon and have a boost leak test done. I'll ask him what he thinks about it or where I should take it for the install.

It seems like something I could do myself, but I'd need to buy a torque wrench, tranny jack, other misc stuff, which would all add up to the same, if not more, than what I'd pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, what are peoples' thoughts on clutches? I was looking at SPEC clutches, but after some research, it seems that they might not be the way to go. I want to obey they thought that the clutch should be the "fuse" because I don't have a built transmission.

Here is what I'm thinking:

Exedy OEM replacement clutch (comes with new TOB)
ACT Streetlight flywheel (since the OEM flywheel isn't serviceable)

Thoughts? I don't want to go to crazy with the clutch and break something more expensive to replace.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I got my clutch replaced for about $350. That was including the transmission fluid and getting my oem flywheel resurfaced.

Also on clutch, if your not planning on getting more power than OEM replacement should be good from what I have researched. It took me about a few weeks to actually get opinions, etc to finally decide what I want. And on top of that I didn't have enough money for install if I went ahead and bought a nice clutch.

·
Registered
472 Posts
6 hrs. To pull motor change clutch put everything back and tIe for a drive. Deff need cherry picker floor jack and jack stang torque wrench mostly 14 mm sockets and crowbar

·
Registered
243 Posts
Also, what are peoples' thoughts on clutches? I was looking at SPEC clutches, but after some research, it seems that they might not be the way to go. I want to obey they thought that the clutch should be the "fuse" because I don't have a built transmission.

Here is what I'm thinking:

Exedy OEM replacement clutch (comes with new TOB)
ACT Streetlight flywheel (since the OEM flywheel isn't serviceable)

Thoughts? I don't want to go to crazy with the clutch and break something more expensive to replace.
What makes you think the OEM Flywheel isn't serviceable? We get them resurfaced all the time. The only ones that aren't resurfaceable are the dual mass ones and even those may be resurfaceable.

As for which clutch, I would not go any grippier of a clutch than you need to do for your forseeable mods. Also as you said, it's a lot cheaper to replace your clutch if it starts slipping due to extra power than it is to pay to rebuild the whole transmission.

-mike

1 - 20 of 42 Posts