Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I will make this as short as possible by posting only relevant info.
I have a base 2020 WRX with 4k miles on her. Here are the mods I have that may matter to the issue:

V3 Accessport; COBB Intake; Invidia catless JPipe/Midpipe; TurboXS BPV; Grimmspeed EBCS; Torque Solutions TGV deletes; Stock axleback exhaust; Crawford AOS.

All mods done the night before the Pro Tune except the TGV deletes and EBCS as the tuner said an OTS map wouldn't account for those. They were done at the shop an hour before the tune.

Tune is done in two hours and I'm on my way. I notice that theres a hesitation in each gear under low throttle at the 2300-2500rpm range. Feels like timing being pulled, but zero knock events.
I decided that maybe I had a batch of bad gas or the ECU was relearning some curves and decide to put 100 miles on her to see if anything changed for the better.
It didn't. I datalog this hesitation in 4th gear, 2400rpm and send it to the tuner. I hear nothing back for 5 days. Mind you, this is a very reputable shop here in NY. So I decide to do a couple logs at WOT to see if this hesitation persists throughout the RPM band...and it does. I logged a 3rd gear and 4th gear WOT. I got one FKL event of 1.4 at about 5000rpm but that was it.
My problem is that no matter how much I research, theres no way I can read the values in the log and determine anything.
I'm hoping you smart folks here could perhaps give me any clues as to what may be happening or what numbers seem off.
Also, the car backfired during both pulls. Dunno if that's normal, but ime, backfires are no bueno.
I'm going to attach both pull logs as well as the Dyno Graph. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
20200914_171508.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, sorry for the long PDF's...its the only extension the site would allow me to upload using my phone :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update...

Tuner got back to me and said every value is exactly where it should be for my modifications.

He advised me to change plugs this weekend and see if anything changes. If not, I'm to bring it in for a visual inspection.

One thing I have come across in my research is that people seem to be having problems with the Grimmspeed 3 port ECBS.

Going to check out those connections as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went for some NGK plugs earlier and no one stocks them...not even the dealership!??

Put them on order for Monday. I'll do a compression test then.
I logged today and got Roughness in Cyl 1, 3, and 4. At the same time, Timing was being pulled. This under low load...2500-3000rpm. No CEL, no FKL, DAM adjustments, or FBK on accessport.
I'm beginning to wonder if my tuner raised the knock threshold and that's why I'm seeing no knocks on AP.
Then, I logged a couple pulls watching Knock Sensor Noise on each cylinder. I dont know what these values should actually be though....just wanted ro see if anything stuck out.
Mostly, these values range from 200-400ish. However, each cylinder has jumped up to over 1000, and in some cases...over 2000. Does anyone know what the proper value range should be for KS Noise?
Cleaned MAF...no difference. Going to check for vacuum leaks later with a smoke tester.
Anyone that could read logs around???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp, no vacuum leaks found with the smoke tester so that sucks. I had almost convinced myself that I could hear one while driving, but must've been the turbo spool.

Didn't mention before but I do have a white smoke problem from the exhaust. Bad on cold start, mostly goes away after warmup.
No oil burnt, no smoke coming out of oil fill when cap is off, coolant looks new.

Have compression test on Monday, and figure I'll do a leak down at the same time. Im hoping nothing comes of that because thatll mean taking every mod off and reinstalling OEM to try and get warranty :(

I did think of one thing thats bugging me. What if the lines to the AOS are somehow on wrong?? I mean a Subaru tech put it on, but everyone makes mistakes right? Anyone know how the car will react to that?

Its almost like I'm writing to myself here 😕

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so getting ready to do a compression test and the plugs look odd to me.
First, the plaugs I took out were NGK Iridium Plugs. As I understand it, Subies come from the factory with Autolite plugs installed. The car only had 2 miles on it when bought so can't understand why the NGK's unless Subie standards have changed.
Second, every plug looks odd to me. Each has a dry deposit of some rust colored substance. Brown coloration can be normal, but not really for a vehicle with less than 5k miles on it.

Any ideas??

Will update in an hour or so about compression. The kit I had on hand didn't have a small enough attachment so gotta make a run to grab one.
20201001_112831.jpg
20201001_111714.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welp, the pressure test went just fine. cylinders 1 and 3 made 192psi. 2 and 4 made 191psi.
Put new plugs in and got the dreaded p0606 code for the ECU. Reset learning through the AP and will see if the light returns.
Did 2 WOT pulls for the tuner logging the usual things. The car ran like garbage just like it has been. Hesitation and little power.
Tuner replied that the logs look just fine. IDK how TF thats possible but is what it is.
I feel at this point, I'm ready to just take all the mods off the car and reflash her to stock.
The stock car seems slow, but so does the Stage 2+ right now. Besides, at least the stock version ran without having what seems like a choke open lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You bought a 2020 and immediately voided the warranty. Why not just buy a Mustang or Charger?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Because I can afford to buy a WRX and void the warranty. Let's see...a WRX can be driven 12 months out of the year and those other cars can be driven about 7. Mustangs are for chicks and Chargers are for dudes going through a mid life crisis...I'm neither. Both are horrible vehicles that are way overrated. My WRX has beaten every tool in a Mustang GT that tried it...even with my issues. From a dig, my WRX would be five car lengths ahead of a Charger before it finally gained traction. Add some twists and turns and the Charger would be a dot in my rear view. In ten years with 150k miles, my WRX will still sell for 10 grand. The Mustang or Charger will be worth less than half that. I mean I could go on and on but feel you get the point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a side note, I called COBB about my issues with the vehicle. They were super cool and even called the shop that tuned the WRX. They agreed to take the car back this Thursday and go through everything themselves to see if they could find the issue...free of charge...unless it needs a part replaced that they didn't put on, and then re tune. So fingers crossed.
I did notice that if I reflash the tune and erase ECU learning, the car runs great for a day. Then, it must re-learn some bad parameter and the car reverts to hesitation under negative boost and at light throttle. COBBS guess was the tune itself. However, COBB said that the tuner actually shared the tune with their techs, which is rarely done, and nothing looked off to them. We'll see what they come up with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, quick update. I took the car back to the tuner on Thursday. They called late Thursday afternoon and said they pulled the spark plugs but that the crush washers weren't crushed. That would be my fault I told them. I don't have a torque socket and apparently didn't tighten them enough when I changed them. They assumed that would fix the issue, but I reminded them the issue was around long before I changed the plugs.
They said they'd keep the car until Friday. I got a call late in the afternoon on Friday and was told they drained the gas tank and did a smoke test. Nothing found. This is where it gets uver weird...I asked if anyone actually drove the car to experience the issue first hand. I was told...NO! What!? Why the f*ck are you draining gas, pulling plugs, and whatever else and haven't even driven the f'n car!? Even the crappiest mechanic on the planet will drive the car first thing. This is a very reputable tuner in my area and couldn't be bothered to see what I was talking about!? Needless to say, my hopes aren't high at this point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They must've actually driven the car after that conversation because they called back and told me they were going to keep the car over the weekend.
Apparently the tuner was in contact with COBB and a tech was emailing my tuner back and forth. The only explanation offered was that together, they believe they found the issue and were working together to solve it. This leads me to believe that theres a problem with the tune itself.
Its strange though because I don't have a huge amount of mods or odd ones that should be problematic. My guess is that the FA engine doesn't like TGV deletes. Most of the issue is under negative vacuum and deleting those TGV's may be allowing more air into the pistons after the front O2 sensor allots the fuel ratio to be used. This is just a guess. I mean I can't be the only person with TGV deletes on a 15+ WRX ffs.
I'm supposed to pick the car up on Monday, so we'll see how it goes and what the explanation will be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So...here it is...Monday. I called the tuner at 2PM and told what I can only explain as complete bull.
I ask for an update. I explain that a tune takes 2-3 hours and they've now had my car for over 110 hours. I was told that they think the problem is with...the AP itself. Right then I know this is bull. The AP is brand new, and has up to date software. The AP also doesn't have the ability to make any changes to the vehicle while its just monitoring the engine.
I place a call to COBB and they confirm this. COBB support tells me that this shop has called their techs in order to figure out a solution to their garbage tune. I'm promised a call back within an hour...which was almost 3 hours ago.
At this point, I think that not only does the tuner not know wth they're doing, but neither does COBB. I have a 2020 WRX with the same mods on it that 90% of WRX owners have. Yet my car seems to be the only one that no one can tune. BS.
I think the time has come to just cut my losses with this place and just drive there to pick up my car. I'll take it to another tuner and will try to steer clear of anything COBB related in the future.
If this tuner doesn't refund at least a portion of my $675 I paid for the tune he'll lose the money elsewhere because I'll leave a review on every site I can.
If there's anything left to update, I'll do so :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, COBB called me and asked that I allow the tuner to keep the car for another couple days.
He said that the techs and tuner were in contact all day and logs were being sent for them to go through to help solve the hesitation issue.
He also stated that the FA PCM is the likely culprit. Apparently the PCM on 2015+ WRX's are constantly trying to maintain emissions standards. This causes a mixture of lean and rich fluctuations which is causing the detonation. I can buy that explanation.
My question is why didn't the tuner know this and tell me to either place a spacer under the front O2 sensor, or delete it altogether!?
I also don't like the idea of constant redline pulls in my car to get these logs being sent to COBB considering the horrible tune that the tuner put on the car.
I shoulda just opted for the Evo X and not the Subie lol. Mitsubishi understands modders and makes it simple whereas Subaru knows buyers will mod a WRX but hinders them at every turn ffs.
So, I'll hope for the best but so far, my Subaru experience has been the absolute worst and can't see myself recommending a WRX to anyone...at least not the 2015+

1 - 14 of 14 Posts