Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to turbo's and was wondering exactly what is a protune. From what I understand is they put it on a dyno and adjust all the stuff. The question I really need answered is what do I need in order to get one. Do I need an accessport or something similar or what? Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Generally speaking, you were pretty correct in what you said, all of it. There are alot of ways the term "Protune" can be used. It can be someone who has a license to tune Accessports and adjust it to your specific vehicle if you are unhappy with the over the shelf tune or if you added parts that are not incorporated in the OTS program. Some people simply use the term for an individual who can tune your vehicle regardless of tuning method such as open source, UTEC, etc....
Pretty much a person who alters the ECM's mapping properties regardless of what method for your spcific vehicle rather than OTS which can be used on most vehicles by providing large margins of error.
The advantages are great as every car is different and the tuner can adjust it whatever way you would like them to. Economy, power, reliability, responsiveness, etc etc...

This is a basic overview but I hope it helps you in your search for more specifc information. Search for specific tuners and feedback for more detailed info, dyno charts, and driving impressions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts