Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am a new member here from Toronto Canada. I test drove a 08 WRX today an my first impression was very positive, which I can;t say about other cars i tested recently.

I have one inportant question. I am coming from a 07 Accord and this car has very ficicky interior. It rattles, buzzes, pops, it is very humidity an temperature dependent, etc....Drives me bananas.

So, during the drive today, I took it to a scraped down section of a 401 highway...My Accord rattles like ason of a gun there. WRX held much better.

So, is my impression correct and these cars actually don't rattle much?

Another question - where are WRXs build? I might try importing from US and of they are American built there's no 6% duty.

·
Registered
537 Posts
In regards to rattling, I'm not sure if the 08 WRX is better then the 07 accord. I would have though the accord to be pretty good.
For the WRX mine doesn't rattle but when its cold the plastic in the dash definitely creaks but at the same time every car that I have owned makes some sort of noise.
My friend has a BMW and his car is definitely better then mine but it still makes the odd noise.

The WRX and maybe all Imprezas are build in Japan so if you import it from the US your going to have to pay the duty. Its still much cheaper to import. SOC still doesn't have any cash incentives on the WRX and only has low rate finacing 0.9% but only for 24 month. I imported my WRX in Dec. 07 and saved about $8500 after all was said and done.

Here is the math to prove it

here is the info on what I payed and what I saved:
I got it at Van Bortel Subaru and paid what they quoted the car to be online @ http://www.buildyourownsubaru.com/BuildYourCar.asp
2008 Impreza WRX 5 Door w/ Premium Package
With these options:
-Sport Grille
-Ski Attachment - Roof - 6 Pair
-Cross Bar Kit
-Block Heater
-NYS temp. registration
Total Vehicle Cost: USD$26,967.50 (paid to the dealer) (cost me CAN$27021.44 @ an exchange rate of 1.002)

The total cost is going to be: (I still need to pay PST)
car cost $27021.44
+ DUTY $1633.34 (based on a CAN$value of 26776, the daily exchange rate was 0.992 at the time of import)
+ GST $1710.56
+ ExciseTax $100
+ PST $2279 (estimated @ 8%)
+ RIV $209
------------------
Total $32953.34 (estimated)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now the same car in Canada would be:
Crossbar set $299.95
Ski/Snowboard carrier - 6 pair skis $195.00
Mesh grille (body colour trim) $369.95 + Installation
Block heater $35.91 + Installation

MSRP $33,895.00
PDI & Freight $1,495.00
Air Tax $100.00
Accessories $900.81
Purchase Price $36,390.81
PST $2,911.26
GST/FST Taxes $2,183.45
Total $41,485.52
-----------------------------------------------------------
In the Canadian cost I didn't include any dealer discount that I might have gotten because I felt that it would just be off set by the unknown installation cost.
So the savings are:
$41,485.52
- $32953.34
---------------
$8532.18

Originally I actually thought that I was going to be saving about 10K but there were some stuff I over looked (GST is based on the purchase value + Duty) and the dollar had dropped a bit since I started the process.

Now for my actual savings:
Savings $8532.18
- Gas $150
- One way rental $114 (National)
- Food $30 (I packed a lunch but bought dinner & beers, and breakfast the next day)
---------------------------------------------------
$8238.18

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zombie, thanks for great info!

In regards to rattling...2003-2007 Accords are definitely rattlers. People who hever owned them usually don't realize it :) I had a 03 Ranger pickup that was way better.
The WRX I drove today felt solid.....I drove it over scraped highway surface and I could only hear a plastic squeak from the radio and the rattle from the dealer's license plate :) Over the same stretch Accord rattles at every seal.

The cold temp rattle you hear, is that the only one?

In regards to import....Seems that dealers in Boston area are quite happy to have my business, so it's really a no brainer :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your US price might actually be high, premium with some options should be around $25.5k after all the holdbacks and dealer incentives around now. Shop around a bit.

Interior rattling is pretty quiet on this car but of course it's new so who knows about three years down the road. Does have a very stiff body/chassi though so lots of things in favor. I have to say the only thing I don't like is the appearance of the interior, has everything you could want but sometimes the appearance of painted plastic gets me down a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, being Canadians we don't have much leverage on price and I am sure most incentives won't apply either......But compared with absolutely off the wall prices here it's well worth it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yury, I have noticed that the front passenger seat rattles when there is nobody sitting in there. Like you, my previous car had lots of rattles so I am very sensitive to them. I only have about 3,500 miles on my WRX now but that is the only rattle I have noticed so far. The interior build quality feels doesn't use expensive materials, but everything feels very solid and very tight.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The base premium that I bought was 25,683 USD Van Bortel Subaru has pretty good prices (I think) but as of Dec. 07 holdbacks and dealer incentives don't apply to Canadian customers.
You can ask around but I would call Karl the international sales guy from Van Bortel http://www.buildyourownsubaru.com/ContactUs.asp
He was easy to deal with and I'm sure they still deal with Canadians plus they are pretty close to Toronto. Its in Victor, NY (near Rochester). I think there is also a Subaru dealer in Buffalo that sells to Canadians, there even closer to you so if there willing to play ball... it would be less work for you.

Just do it already !!
[move]:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) [/move]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The base premium that I bought was 25,683 USD Van Bortel Subaru has pretty good prices (I think) but as of Dec. 07 holdbacks and dealer incentives don't apply to Canadian customers.
You can ask around but I would call Karl the international sales guy from Van Bortel http://www.buildyourownsubaru.com/ContactUs.asp
He was easy to deal with and I'm sure they still deal with Canadians plus they are pretty close to Toronto. Its in Victor, NY (near Rochester). I think there is also a Subaru dealer in Buffalo that sells to Canadians, there even closer to you so if there willing to play ball... it would be less work for you.

Just do it already !!
[move]:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) [/move]
I will call them up, NY is definitely easier for me :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts