Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone think that a lightened pulley is a good idea? I was looking at one, either the Perrin, Cobb or the Rallitek one.

Perrin - $125

Cobb - $135

Rallitek - Agency Power - $129.99

I like the blue Cobb one, but that is only because I am going with blue and polished theme under the hood.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
quite llike the look of the perrin

·
Registered
752 Posts
i read something about not being able to change out the pulley because we dont have a tensioner.

i think i got this info from AgencyPower, but i am not sure.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i read something about not being able to change out the pulley because we dont have a tensioner.

i think i got this info from AgencyPower, but i am not sure.
not sure what kind of tensioner your talking about. iirc, the crank pulley DOES fit the 08's just fine. i have heard some good reviews about them, but have also heard some bad ones. still not sure about the pulley, i just dont want it to mess up my engine.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
the crank pulley is generaly not recomended to change but i dunno about that engine
on my SVT i changed the powersteering and alternator only for lightweight one and put a dualmass damper for the crank pulley but no lighted one

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it is the same size as the org crank pulley. The only thing is that it is 4lbs lighter, now that doesn't mean crank horsepower gains, but wheel horsepower gains.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have had the Lightweight pulleys on both my '02 2.5 and my '03 WRX. As long as you get the one that is the same size, you should be fine. It did, seem to free the engine a little. Don't know if it was any real help though.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, my understanding is that you get a bit better response from motor when you change that out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Cobb Crank pulley on my 07 that with 391WHP. as far as power goes it doesn't help u make any power it just help put less stress on the motor... A WHOLE lot i may say. It generally just helps you rev a little bit faster. but with mods like a Ligthen flywheel you will really see taht thing rev quick. as far as Perrin or Cobb or what ever it's jsut the matter of taste. which one you think it looks better on your car. they are all pretty much the same. i think it's a hell of a important mod on my car to do before any power mods. pulley and Access Port are my frist mods for my car so far. and as far as a the tension thing goes. on teh 07 and previouse Impreza,WRX and STI they all ahve a tension bolt for the Alternator belt and teh AC condenser belt. but for the 08 for some reason they only go the tension relase bolt on the alternator belt and not the AC condenser belt. I hope that helps if you got any more Questions just shoot me a e-mail

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered the Cobb, so can't wait to get it in... I have heard so many goods and bads, I don't know what to believe about it, so I am going for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ordered the Cobb, so can't wait to get it in... I have heard so many goods and bads, I don't know what to believe about it, so I am going for it.
I read somewhere that getting a lightened crank pulley is the equivelant of dropping about 300-400 lbs of your cars weight in terms of teh car being able to rev faster or the throttle response...my friend has one on his scion tC and says he noticed the difference but isnt drastic but he also has other mods so im not sure if that comes into play also

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It takes a lot of stress off of the motor, which is good in the long run. But, when you start doing more mods and upping the power it becomes more of an issue cause with more power comes more stress, so I would do it.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah. I saw that. I think that it sucks. Well, I guess there are ways of going around it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hey Coop let me know when you get that installed. I am curious to see if you can feel/see a difference in throttle response.

Seth

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will let you know. It might be a little while out cause of the extra parts that I have to get and install. :mad:

·
Registered
519 Posts
HAHA with this car it could be a never ending project. Half the fun of having a WRX.

Seth

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hey Coop let me know when you get that installed. I am curious to see if you can feel/see a difference in throttle response.

Seth
if he put everything together at once i guess he wont be able to tell the difference of the pulley hehe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts