Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a wrx sedan and cant stand that chrome strip between the taillights.anyone feel the same way?is there a way to paint it the car color?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am in the same boat as you are. You can remove it and have a body shop or you if you are inclined to that sort of thing sand it and paint it. Just plastic. I would like to be able to just buy a painted one to install.

Seth

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
if it's the same piece the hatch uses, the pre-painted ones for the STi will fit. you can order them from your dealer.

you can't paint the chrome ones - paint won't stick to chrome.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
yea you will need to remove the chrome first with acid dip and after you can prime/paint it how you want

·
Registered
359 Posts
am I the only one that thinks that piece would look nice in carbon fiber.

·
Registered
954 Posts
am I the only one that thinks that piece would look nice in carbon fiber.
i thought that too. carbon fiber or like a black chrome color, almost like putting a piece of tint over the chrome bar. either one would look better than the ugly chrome

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
as I've said before, the non-STi bar on the back has an integrated Subaru logo...

if you were to paint it or tint it, you'd be covering up the logo. you should just buy the STi bar as it comes in every color the WRX comes in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
as I've said before, the non-STi bar on the back has an integrated Subaru logo...

if you were to paint it or tint it, you'd be covering up the logo. you should just buy the STi bar as it comes in every color the WRX comes in.
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but you do realize that trimming the tint around the logo would solve this problem right? Am I mistaking?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
of course you could do that, or even mask it off before you painted, but it would look weird... it's not a clear cut edge around the logo so unless you did a really good cutting job it would come out looking strange.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
yea id agree with that. Any clue on how much the STi strip is ?
it's something like $200 or more due to the fancier logo (the STI's logo has a sort of checkered effect and is larger than the logo on the WRX -- but it still fits the WRX)

check with your local dealer

they may give you their price on it

and like I said they come PRE PAINTED so make sure you order it in whatever color you have on your WRX... or you could go with the Obsidian Black pearl one if you have a bright color like aspen white or the red color this year --- might be interesting (or might look dumb)

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have the sedan with the trunk so the sti part is different.i think ill see how much a new one from the dealer is and have it stripped and painted rally blue.i just dont like the chrome.it doesnt match with the car.i have the sport grille on the way also.thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
yea id agree with that. Any clue on how much the STi strip is ?
it's something like 0 or more due to the fancier logo (the STI's logo has a sort of checkered effect and is larger than the logo on the WRX -- but it still fits the WRX)

check with your local dealer

they may give you their price on it

and like I said they come PRE PAINTED so make sure you order it in whatever color you have on your WRX... or you could go with the Obsidian Black pearl one if you have a bright color like aspen white or the red color this year --- might be interesting (or might look dumb)
i doubt the rear strip will be 200$ if the whole STI front grille is 260$
as for having a differnt color sort grille somebody have a black one on a silver sedan already IIRC

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am going to the dealer today. I will find out how much they go for.

Seth

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the STi rear strip and front grille are just nicer because they're painted PLUS they allow for bigger prettier subaru emblems

and I don't know if I've mentioned it, but the STi spoiler (bigger, nicer looking) also fits the WRX and also comes pre-painted

the dealer quoted me $360 USD

they said they can give it to me for $300 though

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Take note: 1$US = 1$CAN
online dealer quote me 260$ not painted
My dear canadian dealer quote me 750$CAN pre-painted

as he quoted me 495$CAN for the sport grille which i got online for 220$...
so... its why canadian wrx hatch are 33 995$ CAN

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
canadian dollar is actually worth more right now, and canadian cars have many different options and sometimes don't have things required on american cars

the dealer told me the piece only comes painted

but either way, expect to pay $200-300 for any body part like spoiler, grille, or rear strip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts