Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions On Stock 17" X 7" Wheels

I see that some members are already putting new wheels on his/her car and I was wondering if anyone happens to know the weight of the factory wheel without the tire. Also, has anyone found out the offset, too? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Questions On Stock 17" X 7" Wheels

Howdy! Sorry I haven't replied to your thread earlier. This weekend i will remove one of the wheel/tire assemblies from my car and put it on the shipping scale at home. With some simple math, I should be able to get a rough idea as to what the factory wheel weighs.

Regarding the wheels specs, I would imagine it to be the same as the 06-07 WRX wheel: 17 x 7, offset +55.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

cool. i look forward to seeing the results. i would guess that the wheel alone might weigh about 20 lbs., the weight of the air inside the tire is negligible, and the tire weighs 23 lbs. according to bridgestone's specs for the 205/50/17 potenza re92a. i guess the total would be around 43-45 lbs. i'm curious about the weight because if it is indeed 20 lbs. per wheel than there are a lot better alternatives for performance wheels.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

For those that want a wider tire...I can fit 225/45R17 on a 17x7" wheel (at least the BFG KDW2 that I had mounted on my 17x7s fit well)

It hung a little bit over the edge of the wheel but it handles great and doesn't lose air or anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Since Bridgestone lists the OEM Subaru WRX tire as weighing 22 lbs, therefore the wheel with the TPMS sensor must weigh 23.2 lbs. Ugh. Hea-vy.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

+1 Good info hikeeba!

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts

All I know is that when I switched to my Enkei Racing Series 17X8 (17.5 lbs/wheel) I noticed a BIG difference in pick-up, especially at the upper end of the rev range: the car charged up to redline much more urgently than it did on the stockers. I can easily believe 23.5 lbs for the stock rims!!

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts

Of course, the tradeoff with lighter wheels can often be durability. I'm not sure that I'd want to invest a lot of money in superlight wheels here in Potholeburgh.

While we're on the subject, how does going to a slightly wider tire affect the handling? If I went from 205 to 215 or even 225, would I get more grip? Would I pay for that with slower steering?

See, the stock Potenzas sucked really hard today, and we didn't even get all that much snow. I don't like feeling like I'm driving on a layer of slime when all it is is snow (hard packed in patches) and a little bit of slush on the road, so I'm strongly considering Goodyear F1s or Kumhos. The question is stock size or a little wider?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

Well, a wider tire will allow for a larger contact path. It will give you a lot better handling, of course there is a point, but these cars can't get to that point where you would be sacrificing steering for handling. I would recommend getting better wheels, now with many lighter wheels you don't loose any of the rigidity from stock to aftermarket. What you do get though is less stress on the car do to dropping the weight that the car has to move. If you don't go with larger rims, ie 18" or 19", then you won't loose any strength of the rim cause the tire is forgiving enough to make the difference.

I would go a little wider if you can.

·
Registered
178 Posts

I though they were like 29 lb. I want 15lb rims, but that is just 7 lb lighter than stock. I don't want to spend extra cash to save overall 28 lb(4).
I guess I'll modify something else :)

I just have to loose 28 lb of body fat ;D

·
Registered
298 Posts

I though they were like 29 lb. I want 15lb rims, but that is just 7 lb lighter than stock. I don't want to spend extra cash to save overall 28 lb(4).
I guess I'll modify something else :)

I just have to loose 28 lb of body fat ;D
well, 28 lbs may not seem like much, but it's 28 lbs of unsprung weight which is more important. and 28 lbs of rotating mass which will help your acceleration as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Since Bridgestone lists the OEM Subaru WRX tire as weighing 22 lbs, therefore the wheel with the TPMS sensor must weigh 23.2 lbs. Ugh. Hea-vy.
that's a lot of weight!!! Anyone know if you can just ditch the TPMS's and save all that weight....I am perfectly capable of checking my tire pressure myself...I always thought TPMS was a stupid system...they don't go off unless your tire is really low and by that time you should be able to tell by the way the car handles...

·
Registered
298 Posts

that's not a particularly easy thing to do. and you only saving ounces at that point, they're not very heavy. you'll have to unmount and remount all your tires to take them off.

·
Registered
88 Posts

that's not a particularly easy thing to do. and you only saving ounces at that point, they're not very heavy. you'll have to unmount and remount all your tires to take them off.
Oh...I thought they weighed like 20lbs...according to the post I quoted...nevermind then

·
Registered
3,581 Posts

Oh...I thought they weighed like 20lbs...according to the post I quoted...nevermind then
So the rim weights a whopping 3lbs! I wish :( I can get a weight of the TPMS when it comes in tomorrow since mine got destroyed when my rim blew... I think all I have to do is bring it back to the shop to get it installed then I have to drive over to Subaru to reprogram it :( To much $$!

·
Registered
88 Posts

ah crap I read the post wrong...I thought it said "the TPMS sensor must weigh 23.2 lbs." not the wheel with the TPMS sensor..."

I have to stop posting on 3 hrs of sleep and a 9 hour day of busting my butt....eesh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts