Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions: Sport Grille, "I" Badges - 08 Hatch

I know that I want to replace the grill on my LR 08 hatch. I'm trying to decide between the STi/09 style grill vs a sport grille. I'm Thinking I might go with a black sport grill rather than lightning red. I've seen a member in the gallery with a matte black sport grill, but I was wondering if anyone has done the factory OBP on a non-OBP car? LR preferred ;)

I'm thinking of leaving the sport grille debadged entirely, and then replacing the subaru badge on the hatch with a black "I" badge. I've seen others with them but I'm not sure where to purchase the black I badge, or whether it would fit... any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Re: Questions: Sport Grille, "I" Badges - 08 Hatch

You know you have been tinkering with the same idea as I ;)
I like the STis matte black grille and have been wondering to do the same if I were to buy a sport grille. I also wanted to know about the "I" emblem or recoloring mine to pink.

For the "I", me thinks we will ahve to purchase a previous gen emblem, I have yet to see one specifically for the sports grille or replacements in the size of the current model. I would be appreciative if anyone else would like to post pics as well. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Here's the one in the member's gallery, it's a matte black sport grille http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=4429.msg61254#msg61254

I'm thinking of doing that but with the gloss black of factory OBP, with no badge in front. I want the black I badge for the rear hatch, but I think I will have fitment issues... what I might do is look for a compatible blue or pink badge and then just get rid of the paint, replace with black.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

Hey! Thats my car! :p

That isn't the sports grille, thats the ebay grille for $130 shipped. MUCH cheaper then the sports grille/09/STi grille. Comes with no symbol but I bought the "WRX" from subarugeniuneparts.com.

Very easy to sand and paint and i'm sure if you went with the OBP it would look good. I left it as is cause of the V-Lip being Matte Black as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yep that's the look I'm going for.. probably just in black.

Now if I can only find a badge that will fit the rear hatch... I'm pretty sure I've seen people with the "I" style badge on the hatch, I just gotta find them.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

That isn't the sports grille, thats the ebay grille for 0 shipped. MUCH cheaper then the sports grille/09/STi grille. Comes with no symbol but I bought the "WRX" from subarugeniuneparts.com.

Very easy to sand and paint and i'm sure if you went with the OBP it would look good. I left it as is cause of the V-Lip being Matte Black as well.
I read that there is no drilling template, was this still okay with you?
I am debating this as well.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

That isn't the sports grille, thats the ebay grille for 0 shipped. MUCH cheaper then the sports grille/09/STi grille. Comes with no symbol but I bought the "WRX" from subarugeniuneparts.com.

I read that there is no drilling template, was this still okay with you?
I am debating this as well.
They have the indents on the grille to where you are supposed to drill. I drilled right on them and it was perfect. Only bad part about the grille is the bottom. It pops out of the bumper every once in a while because they didn't put much of an area for it to slide in the slots. It's an easy fix with double sided tape if you don't plan on taking the grille off all the time. I just left mine as is and it is fine. Just every once in a while I look to see if it poped out a bit. Its nothing rediclous and to me the $200 savings to pop it back in every once in a while was well worth it. Mesh is kinda cheap so i'd get new mesh. Again $130 shipped or $400 or w/e it is for the other one? To me it was worth it. Might not be for everybody but i love it.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Is the Subaru Emblem on the rear of the sedans held on with adhesive. Or is it clipped on? I kinda want to take if off but dont know if there are pins on the back of it.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

There are some pins, but they do not clip in from what I can tell. The pins look to be primarily a way to correctly line the emblem up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yes, I have seen one picture where the person took off the badge, filled in the oval with bondo or something, and then painted it. Even then I think it looked bad.. the bump in the middle of the bar just looks awkward without a purpose.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Must... do repaint emblem mod... :p
Unfortunately I am simply too chicken to do it hahaha :-X

·
Registered
651 Posts

the "typical" I badge is meant to replace the oe subaru star front badge on previous gen Imprezas- it is also the same size as the star badge on the sport grill. the rear oe 3gen badge is quite a bit larger- not sure if anyone makes a replacement or not- I know guys have removed them and re-painted the background to a different color

actually no emblem doesn't look too bad- of course you have some minor body work/painting to do

·
Registered
988 Posts

I like that on the white car.

·
Registered
916 Posts

did it to mine to. and i dont notice the holes at all. i have a silver car and you could see the silver paint show through the holes. so....i took a little black paint and colored the backing peice black. once put back together you dont even see the holes anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts