Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rallitek stage 3 (avo 380 turbo, avo tmi, larger fuel pump, larger injectors, Cobb TBE, Cobb AP)
Sorry but I don't have any graphs to post. I'm so computer illiterate that if I did have one I wouldn't know how to post it anyway. Well I went to Surgeline to have my car dyno'd and fine tuned. I didn't get the results I was hoping for which was 320-350 whp. I wound up at 300 whp and about 300 lb./ft. of torque. This was on a Mustang Dyno so I understand that this reads a bit lower than other dynos. I think boost comes on around 3,000 rpms and holds till redline. My boost was adjusted to top out at 18 psi. My car seems pretty fast and is certainly fun to drive but I would kind of like for shi* to get blurry when I romp on the gas. Anyhow I think that the AVO 380 is a good turbo. 8)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Alot of legacy owners have had similar outcomes with the AVO 380/420. It makes okay numbers, but not as good as you would expect for the price. I bet you car still hauls and atleast it doesn't fall on its face after 5K rpm.

·
Registered
752 Posts
be careful with the stock clutch. it only take a handful of launches to kill it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think 300 HP/223Kw ATW is a good result with those mods. Some of the results I have seen posted up from other dynos seem to be impossible given the manufactures original figures. If I got those type of figures then I would be happy - hell most stock STIs on Australian dynos only read 165Kw ATW. I having been tossing around going down that route and this only cements it (although you can also buy a modified 18G).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does anyone know how these numbers stack up against Rallitek's stage 3 map they ship with the Cobb AP? The map notes for their stage 3 91 octane tune shows target boost at 18 psi. If the Surgeline tune is also 18 psi, that makes me wonder if that is the limit of the AVO380's efficiency. Has anyone seen a compressor map for the 380?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats, Snow 8)

You got more whp than I got, but less wtq...prolly evens out since you're running a manual and I've got an auto-trans. You can get more out of the AVO with bigger injectors, fuel pump, etc. AVO calls it a 380 because that's how much crank hp they say they can get with full mods. Bigger than that (420, etc) and you're talking FMIC and other more expensive upgrades.

Remember that (loosely speaking) WHP = top speed / WTQ = acceleration.

But the tranny isn't going to want to take too much more unless you don't mind replacing it next year. Everyone I've talked to (including Tim) has told me that I want to hold at 350wtq for that reason. You have more room there, but there is still an upper limit that you'll want to keep in mind. In my case, I'll probably go up to an IPT 5EAT or 6EAT before I go for the FMIC and 20G. We're talking $7000 for that, and a bit less bang for the buck--I wouldn't even consider it if I wasn't going down to the track with my car. I'll upgrade injectors and pump long before then--it's the only thing left to do to get the most out of that turbo.

In any event, having thrown my car around the track a bit since the upgrade, I freakin love my AVO 380. On the track I'm bouncing between 4500 and 5500 rpm, and that turbo pulls stong all the way, and really launches me out of corners. Damn near rear-ended a Porsche C4S that way ;D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your turbo Cthulhu! Since I have made the post about my day at the dyno I actually had a reoccuring issue with the wastegate on my turbo so Rallitek had replaced it. I will be going back to Surgeline for the 3rd time and I'm really hoping I will be able to to get a little more hp/tq. I have the larger fuel pump and the DW 750cc injectors so I'm thinking I should be able to get a little more out of the turbo. Regardless I will still be happy. My last time at the dyno Sean and Tim weren't seeing the torque curve they would have liked. There was a dip instead of it rising consistently to the peak. Sean told me they should be able to fix this with some cam timing. Anyway, I hope to get this all tuned up farely soon so I will post the results.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iam a bit new with modding but whatis BCS?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think he means "Boost Control Solenoid". Regarding, Perrin sez:
This product is especially helpful for tuners that have otherwise not been able to utilize boost functions found in many aftermarket reflashes and ECU’s.
I'm still running stock. I'd upgrade to a Perrin or similar if Tim or PIA tell me it'll help, but no one has mentioned it so far.

And that reminds me: Steve at PIA (owner/operator) told me to look into upgrading my Valve Body--I'd forgotten because I was turned off by the idea of being without my ride for many days (they take your current unit and upgrade it). IPT can do it in about 48hrs, but they're across the continent from me, so we're looking at a week or two of downtime :'(

I believe Snow is driving a manual, so BCS might be something to look into--ask Tim or Sean to be sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts