Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed my new Rallitek sway bars and endlinks.(Rallitek rears and AVO fronts) I did this all while the car was on the lift. While driving around now I hear occasionally, not consistantly what sounds like a flat tire. I know I'm going to hear more road noise, but it sounds like the flat tire. All the tires are fine and everything was torqued back to spec. I greased the reccomended parts with the supplied grease. It sometimes happens going straight, more times when turning. It definetly is coming from the front of the car. I looked under the car and nothing seems to have come loose or moved/shifted at all. Only thing I can think of is the torque wrench *popped* prematurely? The nut on the new endlinks were somewhat tough to turn(lock nut). I had a mechanic buddy of mine help me the entire way though the process. Any ideas what could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
128 Posts
As a rule of thumb, always tighten down suspension components with the car's weight on the ground.

Put the car on some ramps, get under there, loosen and re-torque everything.

Also, check your lugs.. when the lugnuts are working their way loose they sound like that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As discussed before (in another thread, but with a picture this time) ensure your endlinks are not binding or running out of movement when the wheels are turned, or the suspension compressed. You may of course already know this, but it is good information for anyone else who may be reading/searching this. ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Try replacing the avo endlinks with the stock endlinks to help isolate the problem.
I agree........start there then you can eliminate the possibilities.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As discussed before (in another thread, but with a picture this time) ensure your endlinks are not binding or running out of movement when the wheels are turned, or the suspension compressed. You may of course already know this, but it is good information for anyone else who may be reading/searching this. ;D
Ok I may replace the endlinks just to see....I really need to get under there. When it was on the lift the endlinks looked like \ and / with no weight on them....I didn't pay close enough attention when I looked quickly under there yesterday to see if they were straight or not. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok time for an update. Do the AVO endlinks adjust? I thought it was just install and not need to tweak them...that was the impression I was under at least. I looked under the car this morning...the passenger side was almost vertical and the drivers side endlink was like this / . I jacked the car up(as I tried to move the bar but couldn't with the car on the ground) and shifted the bar over towards the passenger side to "even" out the slop. Looked better, slapped the lateral locks on and lowered the car...everything looked like it stayed in place. Well, after a few minutes of driving the sound was worse. It sounded more and more like a flat tire and was occuring every bump basically...WTF? So you guys are saying to put the stock endlinks back on? How will they hold up against the upgraded bar? And I should be able to install this while the car is on the ground/ramps(would be easier I assume)? Do the endlinks adjust or "tweak"? Is there a top and bottom to the endlink or can it be placed either way? I've never installed a sway bar before but I honestly didn't think it to be this much of a PITA! Thanks guys. Here are some before and after pics....

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are these pictures taken while the car was on the ground and not jacked up? If it is on the ground then the gap between the endlink and the bar seems quite small (especially the left). See attached image for a comparison. If the left one is so close then it would not take much of a bump to bash it into the end link. Recommend (as many have said) that you try re-installing the standard endlinks, as the jump is size is not that large for at least testing (20 - 22mm? which is about a 46% increase in stiffness). Is the front bar and endlinks from the same company? - It may be that the bar has been designed to be used with it's or standard endlinks.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
If the AVO endlink is adjustable like the Whiteline is, make sure they are the same length as the stock endlinks are........

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the AVO endlink is adjustable like the Whiteline is, make sure they are the same length as the stock endlinks are........
They are adjustable. Loosened everything, removed endlinks, adjusted them to stock endlink length and re-installed. The endlinks are still a bit angled, and unfortunatly I don't remember if the stock ones were straight up and down or not....can anyone advise? Anyone else have the AVO endlinks did you get them to be straight up and down? I have the RalliTEK front sway bar and AVO endlinks. Thanks guys! So far no noise anymore, but we'll see.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
They are adjustable. Loosened everything, removed endlinks, adjusted them to stock endlink length and re-installed. The endlinks are still a bit angled, and unfortunatly I don't remember if the stock ones were straight up and down or not....can anyone advise? Anyone else have the AVO endlinks did you get them to be straight up and down? I have the RalliTEK front sway bar and AVO endlinks. Thanks guys! So far no noise anymore, but we'll see.
Again, just make sure that you do NOT tighten everything down while it is on a lift. Use ramps, or just crawl under the car. Sway bars should be installed at normal ride height.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anything new to report? Is everything peachy now? I'm about to pull the trigger on Rallitek sways, rear endlinks, and one of the two front endlinks they have. I'm leaning toward the AVO endlinks instead of the whiteline endlinks because I've heard spherical endlinks make more noise and wear more quickly. If this is in error, someone please correct me.

And yes, the sway bars are still backordered even though the website lists them as in stock. Talked to them over the phone today, and they said that new parts will be in somewhere between the 16th and 25th. AVO panel filters will be in on the 25th.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everything seems peachy. I thought it would have weight/tension on it, but it does not. Just do the work on a set of ramps, that will be the easiest way. Make sure you make the AVO endlinks the same lenghth as the stock front endlinks. So far only thing I've noticed is more noise when hitting bumps, which is to be expected. No more loose/flat tire sound. As nice as all the guys at RalliTEK are and their products are great, they never seem to have any in stock. I don't know if I will buy anything else from them, as you need to have bought the item about a month before you place your order, beacuse it will be on backorder for at least that long. :-\ Oh well....not like SOA is any better. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Everything seems peachy. I thought it would have weight/tension on it, but it does not. Just do the work on a set of ramps, that will be the easiest way. Make sure you make the AVO endlinks the same lenghth as the stock front endlinks. So far only thing I've noticed is more noise when hitting bumps, which is to be expected. No more loose/flat tire sound. As nice as all the guys at RalliTEK are and their products are great, they never seem to have any in stock. I don't know if I will buy anything else from them, as you need to have bought the item about a month before you place your order, beacuse it will be on backorder for at least that long. :-\ Oh well....not like SOA is any better. :D
Can't argue with the price though! As far as the backorder stuff - I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that they have the most affordable sway bar set for 08s and that there generally isn't much out of the 08s yet and everybody wants it. Give it a few months and I think it'll tone down a bit.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You know, for the price I'd rather just spend 20 or 30 bucks more and get something more substantial from whiteline (harman motive carries most of their stuff for the 08, except the springs). The whiteline adjustable bars are more expensive, but the fixed bars aren't. I almost got a fixed from and adjustable rear, but decided that I couldn't see myself ever wanting anything that felt stiffer than 22mm front and 20mm rear (the diameters that the whiteline bars come in), so i got the fixed ones. Harman motive carries them. I'll be installing mine next week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You know, for the price I'd rather just spend 20 or 30 bucks more and get something more substantial from whiteline (harman motive carries most of their stuff for the 08, except the springs). The whiteline adjustable bars are more expensive, but the fixed bars aren't. I almost got a fixed from and adjustable rear, but decided that I couldn't see myself ever wanting anything that felt stiffer than 22mm front and 20mm rear (the diameters that the whiteline bars come in), so i got the fixed ones. Harman motive carries them. I'll be installing mine next week.
Interesting. The bars are pretty much the same price. The endlinks are a fair bit more expensive however :'(. The whiteline front endlinks are $100 instead of $130 on rallitek's website. Might be worth the extra $100 to get a whole set that is designed to work together, however... Let us know how your whiteline kit is and what endlinks you are using.

·
Registered
333 Posts
good news that the noise is gone.

so with this new info in mind i think ill order the rallitek endlinks F/R (rallitek and AVO) and their front sway bar, along with the perrin 22MM rear swaybar... i really want a more neutral handling car (yes i know the best is to get HUGE up front and big in the back but i cant find HUGE front sways so... yeah)

·
Registered
38 Posts
All I'm saying is that in my opinion getting equal thickness sway bars front and rear, even if they are adjustable, is going to be a huge mistake. If you want to be able to kick your rear end out, learn how to drive in such a way where you can do it at will. Again, handling neutrality is not static, it depends on a lot of outside factors.

Here's the thing, Subaru put a 20mm front bar and 15mm rear bar (I believe) on a oe equipment. That should tell you something. Aside from that, small changes, especially when it comes to stabilizer bars and a change of only a couple of mm, can make a HUGE difference (for the better or for the worse). Make up your own mind.
What is your opinion on the 22mm/19mm set offered by rallitek or the 22mm/20mm offered by whiteline? I'm not looking for adjustability or oversteer. I just want to have the car handle well and reduce body roll. I have the SPT pink STI springs waiting to go on, and wanted to pair some new sways and endlinks to them. How would you advise me?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts