Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys although this is my first post, ive been lurking on these forums since i bought my car last october. so far you guys have been great, addressing everything i needed to know about so far. I just got a quick question.

i'm not really feelin the rallyarmor mudflaps, and so far i haven't seen any pictures of cars with the factory splash guards. according to the website at subarugenuineparts, they apparently don't fit on premium model's sideskirts. so does anyone with the non-premium have these splash guards? or even better, if you had the non-premium model with the non-premium front underspoiler and those splash guards, pics would be hot. curious as hell how that would look.

-d

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a non-premium with the factory splash guards. I'll try and get a shot this weekend (if I can't get a shot on my phone today without someone looking at me like I'm an idiot!). I don't have the non-premium lip (yet).

I love em. They add a small but of flare to the fenders.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'll have to try again. I haven't had any luck taking pics of a black car as everything seems to come out underexposed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I haven't had a chance to get back out there but maybe this will tie you over a little?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I think that the oem splash guards look a lot better, but they don't have nearly the coverage that the rallyarmor flaps have. The rallyarmor flaps will protect pretty much the entire side of your car, but apparently the oem guards only protect a small area from the spray from your tires.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I picked mine up as more of a styling thing than anything else. I love rallying, but I could never tear my car up like that haha!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I here you on the look of the rally armor flaps,I bought them because I live 1 mile down dirt road.Rally Armor Basics I bought do protect well but 50 bucks for them IMO is steep theyve been on for a couple months and are starting to curl I plan on buying some universal mudflap (truck)material and using the RA as a template..Factory splashes look way better (same color) but who designed them? They need at least 2 more inches to protect anything but the lower fender corner.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I here you on the look of the rally armor flaps,I bought them because I live 1 mile down dirt road.Rally Armor Basics I bought do protect well but 50 bucks for them IMO is steep theyve been on for a couple months and are starting to curl I plan on buying some universal mudflap (truck)material and using the RA as a template..Factory splashes look way better (same color) but who designed them? They need at least 2 more inches to protect anything but the lower fender corner.
They can't make them much bigger because they are hard plastic, in other words they effectively lower the clearance of your car. The RA flaps will bend when the hit the dirt, where as these could take part or you car off.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
canadian WRX are premium only, so no OEM mudguard for me...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I like my RA flaps.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do not waste your money on the stock ones...mine are chipped already(6500 miles). I would get something more heavy duty if you are going to be throwing big chunks/rocks/anything at them.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
^^^ like RA flaps ;D

·
Registered
0 Posts
imo,
the mud flaps protect the body work better than the splash guards as they extend further, and look really rally.

BUT,

one thing to note, with the mud flap hanging below the body work, when doing a reverse parking, one should be extra careful is there is a curb when reversing.

I know one forummer did a reverse parking with his car on mudflaps, he did not realise that there was a curb behind until he hear a CRACK sound. To his horror the mud flap got caught on the kerb (kerb height below the bumper but tall enough to press against the mud flaps) and tore out the wheel arch!!!

Mud flaps are cool but do take extra care when parking...

·
Registered
18 Posts
They can't make them much bigger because they are hard plastic, in other words they effectively lower the clearance of your car. The RA flaps will bend when the hit the dirt, where as these could take part or you car off.
I actually had a Toyota 4wd pu that I backed up and a 4" tall stump pulled the factory flap into the tire and ripped the whole driver frt fender down and couldnt open the dr door :mad: but tried and folded door.. :(Had no Idea just heard a pop and bang backing up real slow...My whole family watched it from 50 ft away OH the shame!! ::)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts