Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, 0.1.....

I splain, today I purchased 4 RF Punch P162C's. They are supposed to be a direct fit. Less than 2" deep. BTW, there are only a small handful of speakers with 2" or less depth.

And a MB Quart 4 channel amp.

All for $302..... Yes $302..... Shipped from onlinecarstereo.

I'm keeping the stock "non-premium" HU... Hence the stage 0.1...

I did this in hopes of increasing the stock stereo's performance. I kind of have my fingers crossed here, hoping that the head unit can produce decent sound quality so these babies can do their job. If not, then I still have a sweet enough set-up waiting in the wings for a better HU.

I'll post again after it's installed.... Which may be a week or two after I get it, so count on near the end of the month for the update. Also, if you are interested in how it all ends up, be sure to post with your comment so you get the heads-up.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Disclaimer, I'm not a car stereo guy at all, but everything I've read about the stock setup says the HU is the weakest part. Even if that's true, all it means is you get to go out and buy a shiny new HU! Have fun with your new stuff.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disclaimer, I'm not a car stereo guy at all, but everything I've read about the stock setup says the HU is the weakest part. Even if that's true, all it means is you get to go out and buy a shiny new HU! Have fun with your new stuff.
Yeah, but have you seen the OEM base speakers??? The magnets are smaller than a $1 stack of quarters! Pfff..... Weak.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm looking to do a similar setup + HU. I'll wait and see how well you like the stock one now before I buy one.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
no your wrong.. the weakest link of our car is the H.U AMPLIFIER and equalizer... not the H.U itself, if you use a DSP than youve just bypassed it

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no your wrong.. the weakest link of our car is the H.U AMPLIFIER and equalizer... not the H.U itself, if you use a DSP than youve just bypassed it
DSP? Help a webspeak-tard out a bit.................... Wait, digital signal processor.. Right.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hurray ! you got it
Digital Sound Processor (or signal, both are ok)

basically you will only use the CD player out of your H.U... use a DSP to bypass and flatted the OEM EQ and end up with 3 nice high output preout to plug a brand new amplifier

·
Registered
142 Posts
^^^ in other words take a look at the Rockford 360 and the JL Audio Cleansweap. they basically un-eq the stock head-units signals and privide you with a full range signal, aswell as an 8volt preout level so you can get more out of it before you start to clip the signal.

·
Registered
253 Posts
^^^ in other words take a look at the Rockford 360 and the JL Audio Cleansweap. they basically un-eq the stock head-units signals and privide you with a full range signal, aswell as an 8volt preout level so you can get more out of it before you start to clip the signal.
Yea, i have no clue what any of you are talking about... Which is why I will be the guy who pays quite a bit extra when I upgrade my sound system at Best Buy or someplace like that!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yea, i have no clue what any of you are talking about... Which is why I will be the guy who pays quite a bit extra when I upgrade my sound system at Best Buy or someplace like that!
I'm with you. I don't have a clue so went to my local car stereo shop and had them deal with it.
Alpine iDA-X001 HU
JL Audio in the doors
10 inch kicker CVR sub in the trunk
Rockford Fosgate amp
I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heh, yeah, I checked those out. They look like a good choice! :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, you guys talked me into it! I bought this silly little thing, here...

OH!! Ummmm, well my amp came in today........... It might have to go back. IT'S HUGE!!!!! Way overkill!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Why oh why did I not know about this? That thing is awesome. I'm already burned out on the factory stereo.......

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
what i love about my 3SIXTY is that i can set up my EQ via bluethoot from the drivers seat

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My MB Quart 450 just came in today. The 4100 is sold on eBay. The speakers are just sitting around patently waiting for a home. As soon as the JL Clean Sweep comes in (which should be by the 21st) it will all go in and an update will be posted. The JL was $185 shipped, and the speakers and new amp were just over $320 shipped. So this whole setup cost just over $500.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I have the JL clean sweep in and the MB Quart amp, with Rockford speakers installed.

It is an improvement. The stock stereo has such crappy sound recreation that it is hard to overcome without completely getting rid of the head unit. I'm content with my setup but I would not go so far as to say happy. It's louder and clearer but leaves high end crispness and accuracy behind.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
rockford speaker are not the best choice for crispness and accuracy...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Im going with some diamonds, they are crisp for sure. I dealt with this pile of a stereo long enough. Sound lvl to max of 40 and you still can hear a baby fart in the backseat!

·
Registered
22 Posts
i was thinking of doing something similar. I have a base model, and I was planning on buying a premium HU and adding some tweeters. does anyone know if the premium HU outputs more wattage than the base model, or just has the tweeter lines? (im a newb no flame pls..)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts