Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the factory service manual, what a pain that was, it is about a thousand PDF file downloads (I wish I was kidding, seriously one per page) I do applaud Subaru for trying. They are just another company trying to figure out the whole internet thing while protecting their intellectual property.

At any rate it is worth it, I was flipping through it and learned some stuff. Some impressive technology in this car like none I have ever owned before.

-Turbo is both oil and water cooled, didn't know about the water.
-Factory oil cooler, oil to watter. Not really special but nice to have.
-Sodium filled exhaust valves, like a heat pipe to distribute and get rid of heat.
-Dual mass flywheel with planarity gears dampers etc, this is no solid slab of metal.
-Check out the cross section of the transmission/transfer case/front diff/center diff, a lot going on in a small package there.
-Fly by wire throttle.
-Variable valve timing - all four cams on STI.
-Body anticorrosion wax, galvanized metal and factory undercoating used to a decent extent in the body to prevent rust.
-Side airbags in the seats and roof in addition to the usual two.
-Tire pressure monitoring system, everything has it now but this is my first.
-VDC is quite a step above the ABS/TC systems I am used to.
-Page IDI-16 - sounds like the car can read its own trouble codes to cover engine, transmission and ABS/VDC modules, no tool needed.

·
Registered
298 Posts
well... a dual mass flywheel isn't necessarily a good thing, every regular car has a dual mass flywheel. they're heavier, but they're smooth and quiet. the best performance will come from a lightweight, single mass flywheel ;) but some cool stuff in the car nevertheless

·
Registered
223 Posts
Cool information. I really like the tire pressure monitors. I always manually check my tire pressures and maintain proper levels, but one time I was on the highway in my other car and the tire pressure light went off. I pulled off the highway and checked the pressures of all four tires and apparently one of them had a nail and was slowly leaking. I thought this was a nice feature as I was able to safely and easily pull off the highway before the **** really hit the fan.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I can't stand the Drive by Wire crap.........what a pain!! Much rather have a cable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't stand the Drive by Wire crap.........what a pain!! Much rather have a cable.
It has a lot of little benefits, it eliminates an idle air control valve and can step in to limit rpm. I suspect it plays a role in better emissions. Auto trans up and down shifts are smoother with it. The cruise control is far more steady with it with no pickup surge and maintains a more stable speed. One of the biggest things I have seen them do is make it safer reversing, but this doesn't seem to apply to the subaru with manual trans. The last Hyundai and Mustang I rented had drive by wire and the Hundai had a hugely noticeable loss of throttle sensitivity when you went into reverse, you could floor it by accident and you only got about half power. The Mustang seemed to do something similar but the initial sensitivity was the same, only after about a quarter throttle in reverse did it step in and say thats enough for backing up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
the delay in the drive by wire makes me crazy

needs to be tuned to be a little more sensitive
I with you this drive by wire seems to be a pain in the ass alot of the time the only time im a fan of it is when im just cruisin

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's not just sensitivity of the drive-by-wire throttle, there are other factors like the engine itself, and the engine management. It also depends on how each person prefers their downshifts. I like the way my G35C downshifts more than the WRX, but I've driven cars that are awful for downshift-blips.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
+1 on DBW sucking. I have it in my 06 matrix. Not responsive enough, and certainly could be more so with an engine with as little power as that car. Ugh. I've driven a few Hondas with it as well...never quite the same as a cable. The subaru is probably the best I have seen with DBW, but still I'd rather have a cable. At least the way it is now.

joneSi

·
Registered
0 Posts
The inherent slow response of DBW throttle is really a pain. It was adopted so that the Engine Management Unit of your car has more control than your right foot. ???

Anyway, "haters" of DBW technology can check out Sprint Booster (think it's from Greece) which increases the throttle response tremendously! I had it on my Suzuki Swift Sport and it worked great. The applications list on the websites are not exhaustive, so if your car is not listed, it doesn't mean it's not available.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the SI Drive on some SUBARUs work in a similar way to Sprint Booster in increasing throttle response when turned to Sport/Sports# mode. Of course it also determines when the turbo kicks in.

Just sharing the above info with you guys. Not sure if Sprint Booster is available in the States. I know Suzuki Swift Sport isn't. ;D

·
Registered
105 Posts
you can also try out BLITZ Throttle Controller

with the slow response in the GRB (current WRX STI) - i mostly drive in Sports#... but not enough, a 170HP-powered Civic Type R has quicker response than by my 308HPer... so, im actually pondering on this...

SI Drive is quite good technology in that you can have "3-cars-in-1," unfortunately the other modes are basically useless...

·
Registered
138 Posts

with the slow response in the GRB (current WRX STI) - i mostly drive in Sports#... but not enough, a 170HP-powered Civic Type R has quicker response than by my 308HPer... so, im actually pondering on this...

SI Drive is quite good technology in that you can have "3-cars-in-1," unfortunately the other modes are basically useless...

Have you toyed around with that F/R differential control very much yet? Yeah I agree I couldn't really understand that SI Drive function on the Legacy - the Subaru guy was trying to sell it based on things like "Well, when the wife drives the car, and she's freaked out by all the power, she could just turn it off and have a tamer car for a lady" - that's what he said, shit like that!! First of all, the wife is not going near the car if it's the driver's seat that's concerned... (Don't mean to sound like a sexist bastard - it's not women in general, just my wife in particular)

But I Am interested in how that F/R control feels\works.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Have you toyed around with that F/R differential control very much yet? Yeah I agree I couldn't really understand that SI Drive function on the Legacy - the Subaru guy was trying to sell it based on things like "Well, when the wife drives the car, and she's freaked out by all the power, she could just turn it off and have a tamer car for a lady" - that's what he said, shit like that!! First of all, the wife is not going near the car if it's the driver's seat that's concerned... (Don't mean to sound like a sexist bastard - it's not women in general, just my wife in particular)

But I Am interested in how that F/R control feels\works.

you mean the DCCD?

i did try it some few times, using "Full Lock" and "Full Unlock," when i do sharp curves... quite fun!

when using "Full Lock," it was kinda difficult to make the rear tires screech... but when using "Full Unlock," you can really feel the rear coming out, ie., just drifting.

as for the practical application - still dont know, yet... as you know, still much experience in driving around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts