1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
dunno if it worth it to order painted since its 140$ more...

·
Registered
77 Posts
mine will be installed this weekend. I got mine unpainted, especially since I can get it painted for free at the dealership AND it isnt available in satin white (STI is not available in satin white this year). I have already debadged the front grille and rear pieces except for this trim piece, but it will be debadged as well. there will be no emblems on the vehicle at all once it is installed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm gonna check my local paint store tommorrow to see how much the paint would be for a quart.

·
Registered
359 Posts
well not surprisingly the cost for paint, clear coat. Plastic adhesion promoter, and catalyst for the base coatand clear coat runs about $150 so unless I painted more than one it would cheaper to buy them.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the STi comes in Aspen White this year as far as I know (a very basic plain white-out snow white), because they received complaints that the Satin White (more of a pearly white) never looked very clean or "white enough"

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think the Satin white looked better on the STI's than the chalk aspen white does, but it isnt a terrible color. I just prefer the satin white.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am now totally debadged. Not a Subaru/WRX/Impreza logo at all on the outside. I replaced the chrome trim in the back with an STI trim piece and had it painted to match. The shape of the STI version is a little different and the Subaru badge is not included with it. A little body filler in that part and to the paint shop it went!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I am now totally debadged. Not a Subaru/WRX/Impreza logo at all on the outside. I replaced the chrome trim in the back with an STI trim piece and had it painted to match. The shape of the STI version is a little different and the Subaru badge is not included with it. A little body filler in that part and to the paint shop it went!
Looks Nice!

Does the badge from the stock chrome strip transfer to the STI version?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks Nice!

Does the badge from the stock chrome strip transfer to the STI version?
I dont think so. I will have to look, but the factory WRX strip's badge looked like it was not able to be taken apart. I think it was molded into the piece whereas the STI piece is like the sport grille where it has two screws that hold it in place. it does not come with it and would have to be ordered separately.

ALSO: If you do order the STI rear trim piece, remember to order or have some sort of gasket or "padding" for where it goes up against the car. There is just a little padding/gasket type of trim under the stock piece and does not come on the new one.

I will try to get pictures of it tonight (the stock piece)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Just ordered mine...unpainted!! It's not that big a piece to paint, shouldn't be a problem at all. Can't wait to get rid of that unsightly chrome crap!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
77 Posts
you will have to take the inner plastic panels out of the hatch. The top part should be taken out first, then the two side pieces next (be VERY careful on these because they are stuck in there pretty good and dont want to come out very easily - i broke one of the tabs off trying to get it off after trying to be gentle - i glued it back on and allowed it to dry and it worked fine), then take off the biggest piece.

All of those just pull off, but try to be gentle in your pulling. some are stubborn.

I dont remember how many nuts to take off the backs of the lights and panel but think there are 4 total, plus two screws on the outside of the hatch under the reverse lights that holds the chrome panel on.

You will also have to unplug the rear hatch release on the inside of the hatch and take it completely out of the car. it is pretty easy, but just kind of a pain in the butt.

also, remember if you are using a new piece, it will not have any type of gasket on the back of it like the stock one does. buy some sort of padded type stuff to put back there. Even the super small felt pads for lamps or something will work fine. You definitely want to put something there or it may rattle somewhat when reinstalled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts