Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the Pinks installed and struts keep going out now. The installer is not doing anything wrong he has even called in other mechanics to have them check the work and nobody can figure it out. The installer payed for the first 2 struts but now we both know it is not his fault and something else is wrong. Since they have been installed I drive maybe 5 miles a day so my driving is not causing them to go out. Since I am in Oklahoma we have the worst Subaru dealership but now thinking I have to take car there to have it looked at get the struts working ok. Was wondering though should I take my Cobb sways off before I go in? They should not effect the struts so I dont see how they can say the sways are causeing the problem? What does everyone here think?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I don't see how sways could be causing the struts to go out. If anything, they restrict the travel of the strut which...in alot of cases the strut blows because it is going outside of its normal range through crazy driving, going offroad, etc.

However, if your dealership sucks (and they have no idea what's going on) i might take it completely back to stock, just so they don't have anything to piss and moan about.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
In the service manual for the 08, it mentions making sure to purge the air from the struts (if they somehow got air into them).

It says to check for presence of air and then how to remove the air if it is present.

Could this be blowing out the struts?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
im driving my pink spring like a race car since 7000km already and my struts are fine...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have whiteline springs (20mm drop) and sways since the begining of May and have driven it over some quite rough roads (it's my daily drive), no problems and they still feel great. I did through do the check for air in the struts before replacing the springs. FYI I did not find any air in the struts, but did try to keep the struts upright throughout the install.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They did not keep them upright will that matter?

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
hey look multiple struts blowing for one person and they didnt use vice grips. hmmm maybe its the struts being out of thier tolerances. so know we know that its not just people that used vice grips apon install. so theres got to be something else causing this issue.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
It's mostly people that used vice grips though. And this person did not do the install himself so we don't know what they did.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah not vice grips or anything like that. They used a hand tightening spring compressor to get the spring on and then hand tools to tighten the bolts once the strut is installed, torqued to right specs for botls. So I do not know what is going wrong?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
well technically ...

the sway bars are part of the suspension. if they're NOT made by STi/SPT/Subaru, then you should put your OEM ones back on just to avoid the hassle of them blaming your sway bars as an easy way out of fixing the problem they caused.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
true enough but if i had to de-mod my car everytime to avoid warranty issues, i just wouldn't modify. then again... i do have a verbal agreement w/ my subaru dealership, that i can basically mod everything except the airbox / intake without worry. i am way too lazy to have to install and then remove parts over and over ::)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
hey it's up to you but verbal agreement means nothing when you signed a contract that says you can void the warranty when you place non-OE parts on the car

if you're having issues with the suspension, put their sway bars back on. trust me on this one. if you don't they might say your parts caused the problem.

sway bars aren't that hard to switch out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, All good advice. I was thinking if I dont remove them there is a chance they will blame on the sways, but I think I will leave them because I dont have the tools right now to do it, and I will just tell them to point out how it caused the struts to blow. I know the sways did not cause it so they will not be able to win the argument. But this could be the worst SOA dealership in all of America.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I see it going something like this...

service tech looks under the car, sees different colored parts, goes on a lunch, comes back 30 minutes later and writes "struts blown due to aftermarket suspension components - not covered under warranty" -- charges you $100 for looking at the car for "45 minutes"

you argue the springs are SPT and the sways are Cobb (or whatever) -- they say "well obviously Cobb didn't design the bars properly and they caused too much stress to build up on the struts and they blew"

... *shrug*

it's up to you. just saying, if it is in fact the "worst dealership" then you know what to expect.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I know it is going to suck. But I do not have any ways to get my car off the ground to get under there to take them off. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
if you have a jack and some jack stands, you can do it that way. you don't need to have the car on a lift, that just makes it easier.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a thought for the blown strut crowd...

If you used vice grips, you probably turned the shock upside down. That's where the air got in. That's where they blew. Expanding air inside the shock as heat built up ruptured a seal.

Although, I do think it is a bogus claim by SOA if they say that was what caused the failure and the strut should have been designed a little better. The fact that they have it in the service manual tells me that this is something they know about so maybe we should just be more aware of right procedure.

And if the dealership acts like they did no wrong, you should go ahead and get new struts and watch them install them. I would be willing to bet they are doing the same thing everyone else is doing with the vice grips and turning the shock upside down and not purging the air that got inside. When you see this, point it out and proceed to setting the place on fire.

I'm waiting on installing my pinks until I have the extra pieces I want to put on that might also mess with the alignment but the dealership will be doing the alignment.

Just a though.

Rock on.

Kenny

BTW NO EVO!!! :p

1 - 20 of 34 Posts