Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just unbolted my muffler at my house with a friend and sounds awesome. just wanted to no is there gonna be any side affects like mpg loss or nothing at all?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought I lost a little torque down low, but the sound more then makes up for it. I also heard from Perrin that removing your stock muffler (and putting a straight pipe in place of it) gains as much as a cat-back exhaust. I saved myself ~800 dollars :)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
You should try the hogzaust method if all you want are sounds. Put some washers on the bolt in between the connection flanges of the midpipe and muffler. You will get the nice rumble sound you are looking for.
Removing the muffler alone will melt things, and also bring all that soot into unwanted places.
If you put the straight pipe out to avoid this problem, then yes it would be ok and loud. As far as "as much as a CBE" I am doubtful you will get some hp gain but not all of it. If you have the hatch letting the exhaust go out the right side would be interesting also. (assuming you went straight)
Take pics and clips if ou decide to do this.
I am curious as to its db level. :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
run it out the side! side post straight piped exhaust is SOOOOOO loud! My friend did it on his civic and it hurt your ears to even stand on that side of the car when he revved. It was tight for the 2 or 3 days he had it. Then he manned up and bought a catback.

·
Registered
20 Posts
run it out the side! side post straight piped exhaust is SOOOOOO loud! My friend did it on his civic and it hurt your ears to even stand on that side of the car when he revved. It was tight for the 2 or 3 days he had it. Then he manned up and bought a catback.

Actually, with the muffler quiet the car is still VERY quiet. When I get home tomorrow, I'll see what kind of decibel readings I get. I can't imagine it being any louder then ~90dB MAX. Once you get past about ~5k rpms you just hear a constant whoosh of air from the wastegate and no boxer rumble. Boxer rumble is only from about 1-3.5k rpms ish and when off throttle you wouldn't even know your missing a muffler.

·
Registered
298 Posts
yeah, running without the muffler is pretty quiet. i've got the whole cat back off mine and it's not that loud.

now my z that i ran with straight pipes was innnnsaaaanely loud the couple of times i did it :-X
haha.. ah, good times

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i put back a peice of the muffler so i have it pointing away from anything that will melt and i stilll have the sound. that wll have to do until i get my exhaust.Thankx for the heads up on the melting if not i would have left it the way it was so thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts