Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time removing the grill and getting very pissed off. I removed the top 4 clips and the 4 small screws on the bottom of grill. It won't come off, am I missing something?

I see these two tab things sticking out that are like connected to the grill/bumper I think, am I suppose to do something with that?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hope this helps:

"BTW removing the bumper is not necessary

just pop out the pop rivets (plastic) at the top (I believe there are 4 big ones and 4 small ones?)

then pull the grille forward enough towards you to see the rivets and screws on the inside of the grille securing it to the bumper

10x easier than pulling off the entire bumper"

EDIT: Nevermind, you already got the clips and screws undone. At this point, it just a case of gently wedging it out if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it that easy? it seem like it's still connected to the bumper towards the center and feel like I'm pulling the bumper off with it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
after you get the four screws at the bottom and the two tabs towards the upper edges- there are two more tabs in the lower center- the tabs aren't in there real tight, but enough so if you don't get them released the grill will hang up.

I mucked around w/ this last weekend and my arms were too big to squeeze in behind (and my wife won't volunteer!)- I ended up pulling off the bumper cover. The 08/09 bumper cover is very easy to pull compared to earlier models. Once the bumper cover is off the grill is very easy to remove/install.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm thinking of painting the silver trim on my grille. 1) Any suggestions for technique so it looks good and lasts? 2) Is it possible to just remove the trim and not the whole grille?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm thinking of painting the trim on my grille. 1) Any suggestions for technique so it looks good and lasts? 2) Is it possible to just remove the trim and not the whole grille?

you can remove the trim once the entire grill is out. there's like 30 screws that hold the trim to the grill and some tabs.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm thinking of painting the silver trim on my grille. 1) Any suggestions for technique so it looks good and lasts? 2) Is it possible to just remove the trim and not the whole grille?

If its plastic get some 400 and 600 wet grit sandpaper. Wetsand it with 400 then 600. Theirs this stuff called "DX 101 Final Scuff" Its like a liquid sand paper that you use with a grey scuff pad and water. If you can't find that don't worry about it. Primer it and wet sand it with 400 and 600 again. Lay your base coats, and clear it. Put it back on after like 3 days to let it cure a bit. Takes 90 days to fully cure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wait, so the tabs come off? or do I just move them in a way to unclip or what? Also I only see the two tabs in the center.

·
Registered
651 Posts
there are two small tabs at the upper and outer- you probably have them disconnected so you didn't notice them. The two remaining ones are lower center- the slide under a little slit in the bumper cover- the tabs don't come off, but need to be slid out- takes a little finessing. with the bumper cover off it becomes very evident (and easy)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts