Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've had the pinks on my 08 wrx for about 4 months now. I like the improvements but I want something a little stiffer and lower. I was thinking about switching to the Cobb springs. I havn't had any shock issues yet and would like to keep it that way. My friend has a 06 impreza with Cobb springs as the only suspension mod, and it feels like his handles a little better than mine. Do you think its worth it to switch over to the cobb?

·
Registered
954 Posts
i had the pinks and thant he cobb's at one point, i say stick with the pinks. the cobbs arent any stiffer, they are actually softer if you look up spring rates. all they do is offer more of a drop. the clunk and make noise front and rear, totally not worth it

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
i had the pinks and thant he cobb's at one point, i say stick with the pinks. the cobbs arent any stiffer, they are actually softer if you look up spring rates. all they do is offer more of a drop. the clunk and make noise front and rear, totally not worth it
With this said, youre more likely to bottom out your suspension with the Cobb springs and OE dampers.

·
Registered
954 Posts
With this said, youre more likely to bottom out your suspension with the Cobb springs and OE dampers.
+1. i wouldnt spend money on em but if you already got em, id say get a good set of struts for em when they come out and you should be ok

·
Registered
333 Posts
thats my plan (when they come out or when i get the money)

otherwise Id definitely recommend pinks, or if you want a drop, those Swift springs. They are slightly weaker in the front and stiffer in the back than the pinks, but unless you drive at the track often they will feel like identical spring rates. But the swifts also drop you a nice .8 inches, both front and back (Cobb is 1.5/1.25 respectively and Pinks are roughly .5/.5). not only is it nice to not have the front way lower than the back (i.e., Cobb, Eibach, and H&R), its also just about right in terms of how far you can lower a subie without loosing a little from the "roll center". Should still be plenty of travel left too.

kinda figures though cause they cost the most!

for stats and such looks here:
http://wrxfanatics.com/blog/2008-parts/lowering-springs/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll just stick with the pinks for now til I either get more money or until some more options come out. We'll see.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
cobb springs are for looks only. the springrates are too soft for the drop that they give. swifts would offer a better drop than the pinks and have a good reputation. the stock struts won't last long on springs that are much stiffer though.

·
Registered
954 Posts
yeah cobbs dont even look that gook. i like a slight rake to my car, but the rake on the cobbs is rediculous. when you look at it, it looks like the rear isnt even dropped. its a huge difference between f/r

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of adding any significant amount of rake to the car. I mean a tenth of an inch or two difference between front and rear would be ok, but a quarter inch to the half inch difference between ends that some spring manufacturers put into their springs is dumb. Cars that are dropped that way generally look ok when standing still, but when they are on the highway or moving at a decent clip they look retarded since the front compresses more than the rear generally unless the springrates are super stiff. Makes it look even more raked on the highway.

Cobb has earned the reputation of reliably making shitty springs.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
To the OP:
Any other suspension mods to the car?
The 06 rates are a bit stiffer than the 08s but that's the way it was designed. If you are changing out suspension parts, I would say go coilovers if you want to go lower. You already don't like the spring only choice.
Sway bars improve the handling dramatically so I would go here if you haven't already.

For looks maybe just fill the fender a bit by going one width size tire wider but keeping the height size the same (when your tires wear out). 225 45 17 is stock for the wrx so go to 235 45 17, It'll give you a bit better traction also.

I just don't think swapping one set of springs to another mandates enough of a difference to repurchase essentially the same part.

·
Registered
978 Posts
To the OP:
The 06 rates are a bit stiffer than the 08s but that's the way it was designed. If you are changing out suspension parts, I would say go coilovers if you want to go lower. You already don't like the spring only choice.
Sway bars improve the handling dramatically so I would go here if you haven't already.

For looks maybe just fill the fender a bit by going one width size tire wider but keeping the height size the same (when your tires wear out). 225 45 17 is stock for the wrx so go to 235 45 17, It'll give you a bit better traction also.

I just don't think swapping one set of springs to another mandates enough of a difference to repurchase essentially the same part.
talking to me?

·
Registered
162 Posts
cobbs r beat, just save for coilovers!i got cobbs on now for maybe 8000, well i had pinks for like a week then traded back.anyway im savin for c/o's cait wait,f in xmas

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
To the OP:

stock size for 08 WRX is 205/50-17

235 will almost rub, be careful

I have 225/55-17 and it's plenty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts