Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed in other threads that alot of times when you put a part into your car they say you need to reset the ecu? what does this mean and how is it done? thanks!

·
Registered
700 Posts
dis connect the negative terminal for about 30 seconds to reset the ecu and this is usually done so that while the computer is re learning after the reset it sees the performance part and adjust everything accordingly. did this when i put my CAI and it still threw a code for running lean. ive read that the computer has set parameters that it can adjust too before it throws a CEL and it seems like ours throw a code for alot of little things.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Resetting the ECU doesn't have to be done. It will learn all on its own eventually. I thought I read somewhere where the newer ECUs didn't really reset anyway. I did it several times in my 2002 and 2003. There was more of a process than just disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds though.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As i understand, Disconnecting the battery doesn't cause the ECU to "relearn". All CEL codes are reset, but all parameters (AFR, Ignition timing adjustment) are unchanged.

The only way to reset the "learning process" is thru a computer

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As i understand, Disconnecting the battery doesn't cause the ECU to "relearn". All CEL codes are reset, but all parameters (AFR, Ignition timing adjustment) are unchanged.

On the AP you can "reset the ECU" which clears the codes as well as "learned" data. ^^ I was always under the assumption that disconnecting the battery long enough (5-10 Min vs. 30 sec.) fully resets it.

·
Registered
700 Posts

On the AP you can "reset the ECU" which clears the codes as well as "learned" data. ^^ I was always under the assumption that disconnecting the battery long enough (5-10 Min vs. 30 sec.) fully resets it.

my mistake. I've been told 30 secs will reset the ECU. guess they where wrong. its always worked on my other cars and on friends cars but then again subaru seems to do everything diff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts