Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have found that reverse is pretty picky, when moving at all even if it is just a creep it will grind. Subaru says it is full synchro but does that not apply to reverse? Forward gears are perfect all the time.

Found that 1-3 are noisy and have a good amount of wine. Is this a change from earlier years? I know the PPG gears wine like crazy and I was wondering if subaru changed something on the gears that typically take a hammering?

I don't think there are any problems just some things I noticed.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I believe the reverse gear is a square cut gear (unlike the other gears which are conical i think?) It just takes some tenderness to get it into gear and shifting it to a foward gear first and then trying reverse again sometimes helps.

I believe the wine in reverse is because of the the square cut gear...you may hear some noise in 1st and 2nd...but if it is excessive, you might want to ask the dealership about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have found that reverse is pretty picky, when moving at all even if it is just a creep it will grind. Subaru says it is full synchro but does that not apply to reverse? Forward gears are perfect all the time.

Found that 1-3 are noisy and have a good amount of wine. Is this a change from earlier years? I know the PPG gears wine like crazy and I was wondering if subaru changed something on the gears that typically take a hammering?

I don't think there are any problems just some things I noticed.
1st to reverse worked for me last 20 years

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
that's a safety feature to keep you from accidentally shifting into reverse... so like the suggestions, try 1st to R or try to double clutch it then shift into reverse...

the whining is because it's a straight cut gear. it's pretty normal for most cars.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yea usually when i can't get it into reverse i double clutch at a complete stop first than it goes in easier

i'll try first gear than reverse now
thanks for the tip

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I have a lot more trouble getting into reverse with this car versus a lot of my past cars, though that's pretty much a fact of life with a lot of transmissions. My jeep used to be a pain in the butt to get into reverse sometimes. If I can't get it into reverse I'll put it into first, then try again. If that doesn't work, I clutch out, then clutch back in and it will generally go in. It's little more than a slight annoyance though.

As far as grinding, if you aren't at a complete stop before you try to shift into R, you will often grind. As has already been posted, reverse does not use a syncro, so grinds are going to be pretty common and really aren't anything to worry about when performing that shift. Forward grinds, however, you should take care to avoid by treating your syncros gently. There are few things as annoying as regularly grinding shifts due to worn syncros.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey does anyone hear excessive transmission noise when in all speeds/rpms of 2nd gear? Whenever i'm in 2nd, all i hear is lots of mechanical transmission noises clunking and whining...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts