Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the perrin ss adapter a few days ago. Here are my thoughts to anyone considering this modification:

Item reviewed:
http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/229/Short-Shifter-5-spd-w-Bushings?category=9&model=23

Installation: The provided instructions are inaccurate, as they appear to be for previous MY WRX's, regardless its a pretty straight forward installation. My only concern is the screws in the center console. When I went to remove them they were "loose", ie not bound tight. After the installation they are even looser, Subaru appears to have used a rather simple method of attachment where the screws go into a tapped piece of metal below. Well, my metal appears to have been stripped from the factory. SO, be careful when you take these out and reinstall as it appears the metal ain't to hot at maintaining the threads.

After the adapter is on you may notice that the linkage to the transmission rubs up against the rubber surround. I took some grease from the ball and applied to to the portion making contact to essentially eliminate the noise that would otherwise be made. Its ultimately likely not be heard anyway when driving, but I prefer to mitigate as much noise as possible before reassembly.

Build Quality: Not much to say, very solid construction. I have no concerns over longevity of the adapter.

Value: 4 out of 5. These things have to be pretty cheap to make, could be more affordable, but does give you the benefits of a SS without as high of cost.

Impact:
The shifts are significantly shortened and feel more firm when going from gear to gear. Unlike some short shift assemblies, the shifter doesn't make it "harder" to shift. On the contrary I have found the adapter as ideal in it accomplishes the goal of making it easier to shift without sacrificing usability. The car now feels sportier to drive and reminds me of previous Hurst shifter in my Mustang of days gone by. That said, we are still dealing with the Subaru stock transmission here, so don't expect miracles when it comes to overall shift feel.

Last Thoughts: The adapter is nice as it lets you dial in exactly how short you want your throws. The adapter came with new bushings which I have not yet installed. For those that don't know, the bushings are installed in entirely different process from under the car, its not something you do at the same time. When I get those installed (Spring?) I'll post a review of them as well.

The adapter will not reduce the height of your shifter like a true replacement SS; this was fine by me as I personally like the height and maintaining the stock appearance. Because the stock knob is so tall, you could always buy a replacement knob if you are going for a shorter look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice write up i just order one can't beat the price cheers

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
The bushings make a huge difference and you can install them in about an hour. Well worth it though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts