Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed my whiteline fixed sway bars. The front is the 22mm fixed bar, and the rear is the 20mm fixed bar. Here are my impressions...

Install:
The install was as easy as sway bars generally are. I did the install on ramps which made things pretty easy. It will help to have a set of open ended wrenches, you don't need anything bigger than a 17mm one. It will also help to have a couple 3/4" ratchets and a single set of sockets. I don't remember using anything smaller than an 8mm, or anything larger than 17mm. The front subframe brace was a pain in the butt to get off because they locktighted the nuts and bolts.

Endlinks:
The endlinks were a quality set, but a little pricey for what they actually are (like most endlinks). One problem that I had was that on the rear endlinks that the spacers they provided for connecting the endlinks to the car were not the correct size (too large). I will have to go get a bunch of washers to take their place at some point before I can actually install the rear endlinks.

Sway Bars:
Fitment was perfect. There is a lot of clearance between the bars and the tie rods, just as much as the stock bars. They are pretty much the exact same shape as the stock bar except for the thickness obviously. The reason I mention this is that the perrin bars apparently have have significantly less clearance.

Performance:
Handling is a LOT flatter. There is a comfortable, but very, very small amount of body roll still left. I say that as a good thing though as a small amount of body roll in a daily driver is appropriate. The handling is also much more neutral. Don't expect that the bars will fix your plowing when you're on the throttle, because no amount of suspension tuning can fix that, but off-throttle oversteer is much easier to induce at will. I don't think I'd want handling to be any more neutral than it is right now as it might border on dangerous at that point.

Comfort:
There is a VERY slightly more harshness, but not too much.

Kind of a crappy review, but I wanted to put it out there anyway for the few people who were curious.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
cool to take the time to review your install 8) i bought a set of whiteline endlinks for my front sway bar and the lock nuts were left hand tread! i had to go get some stainless nuts to fix that but no a big deal. it sounds as if you are still running stock springs??? built for speed not for comfort! ;D

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i am sure everyone is in agreement that the stock tires are not good to say the least. i am running 225/45/17's presently but in the future i would like to get something a little bigger. more contact area would be awesome no doubt. 235/35/18's maybe but that requires a bigger set of wheels obviously. i have been focusing on bang for the buck mods, living in canada, i have to pay for more for shipping, customs and duty. my wife handles the finances so i have to show her that i am getting parts that are affordable. i must say that my car has come a long way since i bought it christmas time. i have installed all the parts myself and even modified the stock shifter to a short shifter to help save on costs. what i paid for my wrx, in canada, i could have bought an sti in the states. having said that, i try to get affordable quality parts since my car has now cost me over $40000 usd. rubber is one area that i have never skimped on though. there are a lot of quality tires on the market these days and maybe reading some tire comparisions online might help you make your decision or make you more indecisive given more options.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Update:

I have decided that I do not want to go with the whiteline endlinks, or endlinks with spherical bearings rather than bushed endlinks. I have installed my stock endlinks in the meantime. The whiteline endlinks made a small bit of noise (which is at least partially due to a loose bolt on one endlinks) and I felt that the abuse that they would have seen would have caused the endlinks to make an unacceptable amount of noise given that I do a lot of winter mountain driving (lots of sand and rocks on the road, as well as snowpack) and a lot of grit was bound to find it's way into the spherical bearings.

It is also worth noting that the front bar lined up in such a way that it required one endlink to be slightly (with an emphasis on slight) longer than the other to avoid preload. This will, and has somewhat already, work itself out given that I did not remove all of the preload. The bar is lined up a lot better than when I first installed it. A few more days and the preload should be minimal/nonexistant.

Either way, I am still happy with the bars, but I will be going with bushed endlinks instead (maybe group A, if I can find anyone who sells them).
Here's my current setup. Bars perrin 25mm in the front and 22mm in the rear. Endlinks Kartboys in the front, stocks in the rear. I'm taking the Kartboys out and putting in the whiteline endlinks b/c of noise and putting in Rallitek to replace the stocks rear this weekend.

The silver stuff you see is Anti-Seize on the bar and it's not hitting the tierod since the tierod moves with the bar. Yes the Perrin bar sits very close to the tie rod. I would not use any bushing endlinks in the front. KartBoys are great endlinks but they son't seem to work well with the Perrin bar.

New endlinks going in this weekend with the cobb down pipe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Either way, I am still happy with the bars, but I will be going with bushed endlinks instead (maybe group A, if I can find anyone who sells them).
http://www.4zero1motorsports.com/ Carry Group A 08 Rear & Front Endlinks.

A local vendor is holding a GB on whiteline sways so Im really glad you made this review. Looks like I would go with the same setup aswell as I dont track and just use my WRX for DD.

Ill also be going with Group A endlinks, not sure why but they say that their Rear endlinks are the only proper ones out for the 08 right now, not sure what everyone else is selling, might have to shoot Group A an e-mail to find out.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i have the whiteline front endlinks on my car w/ no noise issues. the rocket scientists @ whiteline sent them with left hand thread lock nuts for some reason ??? on the stock endlinks, there is a allen wrench socket in the end of it on the nut end that is used to hold back up for making and breaking them. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts