Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some STi pink a few weeks ago and maybe I'm just imagining things but for some reason the ride doesn't see as "confident" as it used to be. It no longer feels solid through corners. I've checked all of my bolts, the springs are seated properly, etc... The only thing I can think of is that maybe I did need to cut the bump stops even though I kept reading that it wasn't really required because of the minimal drop. It kind of feels like the back end is floating around through corners.

I wonder if I'm also cornering it a little faster because of the springs so I'm noticing body roll more.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I honestly didn't notice a huge difference other than visual after putting the pinks on. I put Rallitek sways on and with the 2 upgrades together now I'm feeling a big difference.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
for me it was day and night... and recently i tried my friend WRX and i really saw the difference even more

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've had the lowering springs on long enough that I might not remember enough about the stock ride. I definitely want to install F/R sways so it sounds like that should make the difference I'm looking for.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think it's necessary with the drop from the STi springs?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
any repair and/or modification to any of the suspension component should be followed by a allignement

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had mine on for about 6 weeks now and sometimes it feels great, other times it feels like crap. I have actually had two alignments done to try and fix whatever is causing my issue. The car felt really solid right after the alignment but the first bump that I hit, for example a bucked expansion in the road, makes the car feel bouncy and the steering wheel shakes pretty bad right after. Kind of like if the tires were bouncing like a basketball being dribbled really close to the ground. I don't know what to do to fix it but I hate it. It will do this for a couple days, then it seems to be just fine for a while. Drives me crazy.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm sure the pillow soft dampening rates don't help anything. I was going to go with lowering springs on the stock struts, but after seeing some of your posts I am thinking about either just getting coilovers down the road at some point or waiting for some aftermarket struts to come out.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
wow :eek: i am surprise so many people are having issues w/ the sti springs. i must say that i am loving them.

I honestly didn't notice a huge difference other than visual after putting the pinks on. I put Rallitek sways on and with the 2 upgrades together now I'm feeling a big difference.
i have rallitek sways front and back too, together w/ the pinks they are just right for spirited daily driving and a little autocrossing. not too stiff, not too soft, they are just right ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had mine on for about 6 weeks now and sometimes it feels great, other times it feels like crap. I have actually had two alignments done to try and fix whatever is causing my issue. The car felt really solid right after the alignment but the first bump that I hit, for example a bucked expansion in the road, makes the car feel bouncy and the steering wheel shakes pretty bad right after. Kind of like if the tires were bouncing like a basketball being dribbled really close to the ground. I don't know what to do to fix it but I hate it. It will do this for a couple days, then it seems to be just fine for a while. Drives me crazy.

(I am in Japan)

This is along the lines of what the tuning shops I spoke to about installing the springs said to me (about bouncing and whatnot) - they said it was what you would expect from installing only springs to go with the otherwise stock suspension. Now I don't know if that is what you are running, but they said it depended on the speed and what kind of bump it was...

Hope you can figure this issue out...

The problem is, they had all these things they said they had to do to make the suspension/handling work well - and the numbers they were tossing around were a little, ... , robust for my liking. What they also said, however, was that the car should handle quite well as it was, stock - unless I wanted to shave bits of time off track-day times or something...

·
Registered
64 Posts
(I am in Japan)

This is along the lines of what the tuning shops I spoke to about installing the springs said to me (about bouncing and whatnot) - they said it was what you would expect from installing only springs to go with the otherwise stock suspension. Now I don't know if that is what you are running, but they said it depended on the speed and what kind of bump it was...

Hope you can figure this issue out...

The problem is, they had all these things they said they had to do to make the suspension/handling work well - and the numbers they were tossing around were a little, ... , robust for my liking. What they also said, however, was that the car should handle quite well as it was, stock - unless I wanted to shave bits of time off track-day times or something...
The car still feels pretty good and sticks to the road, the only time it does the bouncing thing is on the highway with higher speeds (65-75) or so. I am planning on getting sways, I just didn't want to spend money on them yet if I was going to be changing springs again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well shit...

Looks like I've got myself a bad case of "blown strut disease". I know for sure the rear drivers side is done, I just need to check if it spread to the other ones too.

Does anyone make aftermarket shocks for our car yet? I figure it would probably be worth upgrading since I'll be replacing them. Dammit...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Everything I've read described here sounds exactly like the shocks aren't keeping up with the springs. This is what I was afraid of, and why my STI Pinks are on the shelf in their box. I just called Bilstein 10 minutes ago to find out how long until they have shocks for us, and they couldn't say... said call back in 4-6 months. GRRR.

Now, I noticed that they make shocks for the Legacy 05+, so it's entirely possible those will fit on our cars. The valving might be a bit stiff, since the Legacy is a heavier car, but it could be just the ticket. Shox.com has them for $509 a set.

Alignments are absolutely necessary after changing shocks or springs. Everything gets screwed up, most noticeably the toe settings, as somebody else mentioned. Rear toe settings are critical, because it can make the car tail-happy, or push like mad, if it's not right. I used to run 1/4" toe in on my '86 Corvette BSP autox car to help turn-in (along with 1/8" toe-out up front). It was darty as hell on the road, but it corned like crazy. Sometimes I miss that car. :)

IMO, if you're looking for improved handling, leave the springs and shocks alone for now, and get swaybars. I have a Cobb 25mm front bar, and will be ordering the Perrin 19mm rear bar soon. I may do their 22mm rear bar later, but I want to try the smaller bar first.

Rob

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Everything I've read described here sounds exactly like the shocks aren't keeping up with the springs. This is what I was afraid of, and why my STI Pinks are on the shelf in their box. I just called Bilstein 10 minutes ago to find out how long until they have shocks for us, and they couldn't say... said call back in 4-6 months. GRRR.

Now, I noticed that they make shocks for the Legacy 05+, so it's entirely possible those will fit on our cars. The valving might be a bit stiff, since the Legacy is a heavier car, but it could be just the ticket. Shox.com has them for 9 a set.

Alignments are absolutely necessary after changing shocks or springs. Everything gets screwed up, most noticeably the toe settings, as somebody else mentioned. Rear toe settings are critical, because it can make the car tail-happy, or push like mad, if it's not right. I used to run 1/4" toe in on my '86 Corvette BSP autox car to help turn-in (along with 1/8" toe-out up front). It was darty as hell on the road, but it corned like crazy. Sometimes I miss that car. :)

IMO, if you're looking for improved handling, leave the springs and shocks alone for now, and get swaybars. I have a Cobb 25mm front bar, and will be ordering the Perrin 19mm rear bar soon. I may do their 22mm rear bar later, but I want to try the smaller bar first.

Rob
Most of the problems with the pinks come from people installing them themselves and doing it incorrectly (a victim of the vice grip disease or marring the strut tube in some other way)

...I love my pinks on my stock struts and they feel even better now with a perrin 22mm front and 19mm rear.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I've got Cobb sport springs, Cobb rear & Perrin F/Sway bar with the Cusco front strut tower bar. I recently upgraded my tires to a 215/45 17 as well. I got them all installed at a really reputable, local subaru tuner shop. I used to love the way the stock felt since I had a 02 trailblazer before my WRX. And I totally thought the suspension upgrades would make it pure extacy while doing daily driving. But ever since I got my suspension upgraded, I'm no where near as happy with it as when it was stock. I did the alignment and everything, but until shocks come out for the 08 I think I am gonna have to have my ride feeling not as confident as it did as just stock.

Although the new SPT catback I put on 2 weeks ago, always gives me a smile b/c of that zexy boxer rumble.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts