Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I want to stick with 17" rims, but I'm not sure on the offset and width. I'm in a 5 door WRX that hasn't been lowered (I'm a little afraid of the STI Pinks with people blowing out). Help anyone?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
7000km with my Pinks with no problem
what is you budget for wheels/tires ?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I know that I want to stick with 17" rims, but I'm not sure on the offset and width. I'm in a 5 door WRX that hasn't been lowered (I'm a little afraid of the STI Pinks with people blowing out). Help anyone?
I hope this helps with the offset for you.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm looking into 17x7.5 or 17x8 wheels with +45 or +48. At stock height +35 fits without rubbing so you're good there if you want to go that far. There's more room on the 08's than older models, so you have a lot of options.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'll be the ultimate test of the springs next week. I used vice grips to install them and I had the rears blow out. I'm going to install them the proper way (new struts are on the way) and if they don't blow out, I think it'll be safe to say what the cause of these shenanigans is!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Also if you use air tools, don't just spin the thing trying to get the nut tight. The shaft spinning at 2839283749823798 rpm in the strut can mess it up too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
7000km with my Pinks with no problem
what is you budget for wheels/tires ?
I was looking at less than 1k for rims. I want to go black or gunmetal, just not sure with how wide I can go after the Pinks go on

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
you'll probably have to worry LESS about it since you won't drop as low with stiffer springs.

I would look into General Tire brand... they make the General Exclaim UHP which is a pretty decent summer tire for cheap. it sticks as well as kumho ecsta SPTs or hankooks... I think they're averaging around $80 per tire... depends on size

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
18x8 with a 10mm drop will fit fine. I plan on running a 17x8 and 245/45/17. I'll let you know how it turns out if I ever get my rims in.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Diameter of the wheel has nothing to do with fitment, provided the OVERALL diameter of the wheel & tire is close to stock (approx 25").

Assuming your wheel can clear the calipers, you could run nearly any diameter wheel. If you really wanted, I bet you could run a 22" wheel and have the exact same fitment as stock. It all comes down to the width and offset of the wheel and the tire you choose to mount on it. (On the 22" example, yeah it would be a rubber band... but it could fit.)

So, the things that determine whether or not a wheel/tire will fit are:

Wheel width
Wheel offset
Suspension (amount of drop)
Tire width/aspect ratio,

Provided that the wheel/tire combination is close to stock diameter (25").

Of course you can run bigger/wider tires if you're stock height versus being slammed.

FWIW, I am planning on running a 18x8.5 with either a 235, 245 or 255 width tire. I'm on Swifts. We'll see how it goes. 225/40 on a 18x7.5 is pretty conservative (not that there's anything wrong with that).

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I think a lot of people do 225/40 because they want to maintain their suspension geometry and speedo accuracy. I'm kind of leaning this direction myself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
And it's a good reason to do so :D However there are options out there for wider tires that will keep the speedo accurate... for example, a 255/35R18 is pretty much identical to a 225/40 is overall diameter, so the speedo will read the same.

I guess the point of my above post was to clear up some of the confusion with "what wheels will fit"... People should run whatever they feel is right for them.

However, saying stuff like "you won't fit 18's under there without the STi flares" is just wrong, and might steer people in the wrong direction.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts