Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of doing 17x8 with 225/45 17s or 18x8 with 225/40 18s. My buddy is a Manager at a local tire store and he says that these size tires will not do well on those wheels. That I would have to stretch the tires too much to fit. I know that these are almost exactly the same diameter as the stock ones, with being only 20mm wider on wheels that would be 25.4mm wider. What do you guys think of yours that are running these? Can you post some pics to show him otherwise?

thanks

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Check out the tire fitment guide here

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/faq.php?cID=2

There is absoloutly nothing wrong with those choices. In terms of tire suspension geometry and maitaining an accurate speedo, they are actually what is recommended. On 18's I would probably go 235 40 18 to take advantage of the wider rim, even though the tire would be a few mm's taller. He probably wants you to buy a wider, lower profile tire because the cost skyrockets LOL.

·
Registered
298 Posts
your tire guy doesn't know much about tires then.. ??? 225s are quite common from the factory on an 8" wheel (my 350z for example has 225/45/18 on an 18x8" wheel and i think even some sti's have come with 225 tires on an 8" wheel). and actually, tires perform better on a wider wheel anyway.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking he and I might not be on the same page with this. I have seen it over and over on 18s posted on the net. He has been in the tire business for at least 10 years. So maybe he misunderstood me. Oh well, he will just have to put the tires on and then we can talk about how they don't fit. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts