Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my plans "set" for my ICY WRX sedan. My plans for the car will be do some auto-x along with straight line runs. As I am totally new to any of this, I need some input:

1. I will be installing Cusco Zero2E coilovers and dropping the ride height 1-1.5". Based on my intended usage - should I choose 17" or 18" or does it matter? Will less side wall make a major/noticable impact when doing auto-x?

2. I have chosen the BBS RGR wheels. Specs are: 17 X 7.5" with 48 mm offset. Recommended tire size is 205/50-17. These are the specs as provided by Tirerack.com.
Do you think I can I go a little bit wider on the 7.5" rims and not get any rubbing with the drop?
At some point (when I go stage 3 next summer) I will put a big brake kit on. Probably AP racing. Do you think i will have a fitment issue with the 17" BBS wheels?

3. TPMS - because I live in Canada and I will have summer and winter wheel/tire set ups. Can I just get additional TPMS from Subaru mounted in the new wheels and then every thing will be plug and play, or will there need to be some form of electronic calibration done by them everytime I want to switch wheels?

3. Any thoughts on Toyo PROXES T1-R? I like the way they look, and sounds like they perform well based on what I've heard and read.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just checked the BBS website looking for a 8"+ wide wheel in the RGR. Turns out there is a 18X 18.5 with a 35mm offset. I think this would really give the car an agressive stance (that I want).

Anyone know/suspect if this size would create any problems?

I am itching so bad to place the order for my wheels and but want to make sure I don't make a bad decision that I cannot live with.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd rather go 8" wheel with a 245 tire. I know Perrin has 245's on the DGM wagon. I had 225's on a set of 18x8's that looked anemic. WAY too skinny, you can fit some MEAT under these wheel wells.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't help you with the TPMS. But if you want to autocross I know that the 17" is more likely to be a better rim. As you increase rim size you tend to increase weight, also there is another factor that changes as you put on taller rims your sidewall of your tires gets shorter. From what I have experienced and have read a shorter sidewall will be provide sharper turn-in, but the trade off is it is less forgiving at the limit and will tend to breakaway quicker. Tall sidewalls tend to roll but we are starting with a 50 series and any larger tire will get you into a 45 series. getting shorter than that will cause you to have to watch pot holes as they can damage even a strong rim when hitting a sharp impact.
But wait theres More! as the TV ads would say. The offset that you listed for the 18x8 would be wrong for a subaru, I think you would find your tires not only rubbing when your suspension compressed but you would probably have the tires sticking out beyond the fenders. I personnally am going to go with a nice 17x8" rim with a proper offset and look to stuff 245/45 17" under mine, then I will leave the ride height, stiffen the rear sway bar and enjoy a sporty ride without being beaten to death by every pot hole or expansion joint in the road. Having played with a few cars over the years I have learned that too much messing with the car can ruin the things that you like about it. Not all changes work out the way you think that they would.

I hope this helps, I don' say all this to preach I just want to point out the trade offs that we all face.
Terry Mc

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Terry. This is precisely the type of information i was looking for. Even though I've not autocrossed before, I did suspect that the sidewall height would play a factor.

I only wish the wheel i like came in 17X8 not just 17X 7.5. My wheel choice was based on weight first (17lbs) and wheel look 2nd. Although I would love to have big wide wheels stuffed under the car. Our city is crap for potholes, so some cushioning is definitely a consideration.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I agree with Terry, For autocross, I'd definately go with a 17 over an 18" wheel, less rotating mass=faster acceleration and it's all about acceleration and handling in autocross.

He's also right about potholes and crap, more sidewall is good and a good tire will have a stiff enough sidewall for autocross even if it is in the 45 range.

17" tires are also cheaper...you can probably afford to get a grippier tire even if it lasts less time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts