Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a hike and a half to go to work so no rack for me , It takes away almost 4mpg :( I just bought a new snowboard bag :) That should do me.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
460 PODIUM FIXPOINT FOOT | LB50 Load Bars | 3068 Fit Kit
^^^^^^^^^^^
I have this one..

or you can get this one
460R PODIUM AERO FIXPOINT FOOT | RB47 Rapid Load Bars | 3068 Fit Kit

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Thule is nice. I like it because you can use factory mounting points and not have to clamp down on the weatherstripping like you would with yakima. I actually like yakima racks a little better, but the mounting was the deal breaker for me. I would have gotten the subaru kit had they sold a faring with it, though being able to reuse everything on different cars with the thule system will be very nice down the road im sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the yakima kit with control towers, podium pad 11, a 44" fairing and a big powder hound for all our boards we ride. I've noticed about a 3 mpg drop with the boards loaded up. I personally think it looks much better than the Thule rack and the rack you can buy through the dealer.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I have the yakima kit with control towers, podium pad 11, a 44" fairing and a big powder hound for all our boards we ride. I've noticed about a 3 mpg drop with the boards loaded up. I personally think it looks much better than the Thule rack and the rack you can buy through the dealer.
I like the yakima rack better, other than the way it has to mount. I like the round bars because you can easily rotate ski attachments down so that they aren't just big mpg killers like they are on the thule bars.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm curious if Subaru 2008+ roof racks are provided by Yakima. Does that mean that Yakima fairing kit would fit ?
Has any one tried this for OEM roof rack?

http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-systems/product/8007047/fairings.aspx
no. The Subaru rack kit uses big thick bars like the thule aero bars, only they may be even fatter. The yakima rack uses round bars, which are considerably smaller than the subaru or thule aero bars. You could PROBABLY use thule attachments with the subaru bars though, but the faring won't clip in correctly due to the way it attaches. If you were going to try to attach a faring to the subaru bars, the thule faring would work best, though it wouldn't be perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I rock the Yakima rack myself. Both the Yak and Thule use the fixpoint system (bolt anchors on both roof runners). I chose the YAk mainly because its cheaper. with either system however you can take the rack part on and off in about 2 minutes and that is advantageous because you lose 3-4MPG with the rack on top. I use the wind shield and bike and ski mounts as well. If i wash my car anytime soon ill post a few pics.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I like the "toolless" OEM one
$195 shipped wasnt that bad for a complete base carrier either.

·
Registered
821 Posts
can you guys post pix of your racks? i've been debating on possibly getting one for my 5-door hatch to throw my mt. bike on. i used to put it in the back of my tC but the fork and handlebars often scraped up the plastic of the interior of the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts