Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post. Does anyone know if there are roof racks out there that fit the new WRX 5 door? I looked into Thule and Yakama and it looks like they don't have anything for our cars yet.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
dealers offer a wide range of roof accesories

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dealers offer a wide range of roof accesories
I've been under the impression that dealer racks re overpriced and not compatable w/ other aftermarket stuff. I was hoping that there would be Yakima or Thule solution out there. Are the dealer racks crossbars or do they go from front to back like the previous gen WRXs and the outbacks?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
if your dealer is overprice check online, there is online subaru dealer that sell for less

i got my sport grille from www.subarugenuineparts.com for more thant 50% off my local dealer price.

dealer rack is crossbars and are bolt-on , check around your roof, there is 4 attach point

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use Thule on my Focus and have been very satisfied. However with the car being new I went ahead and ordered Subaru's system so I'd have a ski rack for Winter.
It is coming into the dealership on Monday and I'll be able to tell you if the Thule stuff works with it shortly after if you can wait a few days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link...the OEM brand should be compatable w/ aftermarket bike attachments, right?

if your dealer is overprice check online, there is online subaru dealer that sell for less

i got my sport grille from www.subarugenuineparts.com for more thant 50% off my local dealer price.

dealer rack is crossbars and are bolt-on , check around your roof, there is 4 attach point

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did you miss my post? I'll be able to tell you about Thule in a couple of days.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Subaru-branded tray-style bike rack is, IMHO, comparably-priced to a single Thule/Sportworks tray, although, IMHO, the latter are nicer (especially as regards the front wheel tie-down point).

There's also a fork-mount-QR-style Subaru bike rack to fit the crossbars.

This isn't an issue for me, personally, until the weather gets warmer. By then, I'm hoping there will be a Thule/Sportworks offering that fits the '08 Subaru crossbars.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As of late last week, Yakima now lists a Q-Clip for a Q Tower fitment for the 08 5dr. I believe the clip # is Q83. I hope to obtain two sets of Q83 clips and mount my Yakima Q Towers sometime in the next few weeks. I'll post up the results. I glad I didn't sell the Q- Towers sometime over the last 6 years. Whew!

·
Registered
243 Posts
i plan on buying the roof racks this week along with a few other things... lockable luggage carrier, 2 bike attachments and some other small items

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like the Thule/Sportworks bike trays better than the Subaru bike trays. Have to surf and see if they fit the Subaru crossbars.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
000006790 said:
I called two dealers after visiting mine today to get the part number for the STi spoiler.. they all said that they do not even have a part number for it yet. You know the schematics they have of all the parts? Not even on there. Hmm? Japan market subaru has them but to the tune of 500 plus shipping unpainted.. its like a 300 part max but I still NEED it lol.
i stopped by my dealer and he quoted me 700$ painted and installed..
subarugenuineparts.com quoted me 260$ unpainted wihtout shipping

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Subaru-branded tray-style bike rack is, IMHO, comparably-priced to a single Thule/Sportworks tray, although, IMHO, the latter are nicer (especially as regards the front wheel tie-down point).

There's also a fork-mount-QR-style Subaru bike rack to fit the crossbars.

This isn't an issue for me, personally, until the weather gets warmer. By then, I'm hoping there will be a Thule/Sportworks offering that fits the '08 Subaru crossbars.
The Subaru branded fork mount bike trays are Yakima Viper trays. I haven't seen the down tube clamp tray yet, but I would suspect that it's a Yakima tray as well. Any Yakima tray should work with the OE roof rack and clamps. Thule is working on products that will fit the 08 Imprezas: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433853&highlight=Thule

·
Registered
51 Posts
I picked up my Yakima Q83 clips Sunday. I have an old set of Q Towers that I will mount on my car this week. I'll run an empty rack (just the crossbars) for a few days and address the noise issues. I have some Kydex laying around, and plan fo make my own fairing. We have a ski trip planned for the end of March, so I'll be able to do a long distance, highway-speed review at the beginning of April. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Way more expensive than the factory crossbars.

My plan now is to do the factory crossbars, Thule sidemount tray, and Thule spoiler. 20% off coupons from SOA and REI will help a bunch!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go for the factory crossbars and then order the factory aero clips. That way you can use the factory bars and aftermarket attatchments. I'm using the factory bars and a pair of yakima mako saddles and rollers. I can't remember which clips I got, but I think they are the ones for the kayak. The vertical clips are for the ski rack IIRC.

BTW, the factory rack is much higher quality than the yakima that I had on my '05 wrx. It has aluminum bars, and the attatchment design is excellent. You can literally mount it on your car in under 5 minutes. Its very stealth/discrete. You just flip up those 4 tabs on the rain gaurds, and then the sides of the bars open with a special key which allows you to screw it on. It is rock stable, and there is no chance of sliding like with the yakima. I can shake my car around by pulling on the bars. There is a lot of wind noise, but since you can take it off pretty easily unlike the yakima, you don't have to deal with it unless you have crap on your car which would be loud whether you have a fairing or not. I'm still going to find a way for a fairing though so I can leave it on for a while in the summer when I go kayaking every weekend.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts