Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Most of you have seen me here on the threads making exhaust shields and vortex generators for both the sedans and hatchbacks. But now I am starting a new project that will turn most of your heads. I have spent just a few days on the fabrication of the master/model. The pictures pretty much explain it but I will also explain in words. Most of the diffusers on the market today are mostly made for aesthetics and are sometimes poorly designed and are too heavy! This diffuser will include 4 pieces the rear valence will be all one piece that will tie in both exhaust surrounds with the center opening which will be fastened to another piece that will be a cover for the bottom that will hug and rest around the spare tire bucket and will have a flat bottom which there will be 4 attached strakes that will line down from the edge of the rear diff support up unto the edge of the rear valence. The strakes will be bolted on with hardware and a thin layer of double sided stick tape. That way if a strake gets shattered on the track or freeway I can send out new replacements. All the hardware will be supplied which will be all stainless steel. There will also be rear spats to match the center part of the diffuser so any of your guys' bottomline kits will match with my diffuser! I am only going to offer this diffuser kit in 1x1 plain weave Carbon Fiber I have not decided if it is going to have a core inside of the laminate yet. The diffuser will be an extensive project and will take every bit of my personal attention to detail. This week has been long for me so I will do my best to be sure to edit and update this thread for more info for you guys!

Here is a friends STI sitting in my shop for some Composite Fabrication !

Give a great shop some credit! GoForman!

Day 1, I put a Mock Bumper up that I can abuse and lay resin up on. I basically tape all the areas up where I feel I am going to build up the diffuser. The tape job and setup looks quick but it is just a (slap fiberglass on and pull off basis) so I can attain a shape and boundaries to where I can build the diffuser. The diffuser wont have any curves or random pits mocking the wheel bucket but it will be fabbed up to look like some type of stealthy apparatus sitting underneath.

This is after Prepping the rear bumper for fab. I waxed it and sprayed a PVA release over it for easy release!

My Bimmer was staring the STI down for being in my shop. Women get jealous!

I made sure I weighed out my Epoxy correctly and cut out my specific number of fiberglass plies! The number of plies is impoertant because it will mock the thickness of the actual part to be made so I need an actual size Fitment from the outside for when I take my mold off this master/model

Here are the first 3 4oz.(.006" thickness) plies laminated over the rear valence. I like a clean laminate!

After the first 2 late nights It gets all sanded down and roughed up for the rest of the 3 plies.

I ended up getting help lastnight so I suited my friend up with a Tyvek suit and said get glassin'!

The glassing might look a little messy but it will get sanded out and smoothed bondoed primered all sorts of stuff, so stay tuned everyone if anyone has questions or input on the project feel free!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looking good Jared!! Can't wait to see it finished!!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
This is awesome, people can get a first hand look at how carbon parts are made. Maybe you can sneak a bigger muffler on Mikes car while its there....

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't think my car needs a bigger muffler...quieter maybe lol!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I have added more to the diffuser since last week! I have added the whole lower section and laminated it to the rear valence to make a one piece Master. This was very difficult when I was laying up the heavy plies of 20oz tooling fiberglass, I have a video that I will upload later where you can physically see the weight of the resin and fiberglass were fighting me with the help of gravity. But I managed to get it all tacked up there! I will add one last ply tomorrow to finish up laminating my Master/Model. Once that is done I will make sure that it is all cured and then demold it. The period in which it cures is a crucial part to fabricating fiberglass. Any resin that is saturated in fiberglass should be 100% cured or atleast 99.9% cured before demolding. Why? Because being impatient and demolding the part too early will stress your resin out and make very big shear spider cracks throughout the laminate so it is very important to make sure you don't ruin your Model youve been crafting for the past week and a half. everything is looking good! I will have pics of the diffuser popped off by Friday! Once that is done I will rough sand all the areas and then bondo massive amounts everywhere on the bottomside until I get a smooth flat surface, I will add sharp lines and edges if needed I just have to keep in mind the functionality of it and keep the design looking up to date.

Here are a few pictures I just wanted to share with you guys. It looks very ugly right now in these stages but very soon you will start seeing more of a creation!

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
any plans on making a version for the 3g sedans wrx ?

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Sorry didn't see they had made a diffuser for a 08 wrx sedan.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384398893.501974.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384398922.170233.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384398954.152630.jpg

It's trying to demold! Before I do that though I am going to need some positive reinforcement so I am going to put strips of carbon over the areas that need strengthening. If this is going to be my master model then it needs to be durable and rigid!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to work on adding more reinforcement to the center of the valence I tied it in real nice with 2 plies of 2x2 twill Carbon and added a strip a peel ply release to leave me a nice sandable texture once it is all cured. I added a bup or (build up ply) to the bottom center to attach the bottom half to the rear valence. Once I get to it tomorrow I will put some more 1000watt lights to cook up the epoxy a little bit more before I pop it off!

Heres a little rough sanding with 40 grit to knock down a lot of small resin boogers and to kind of flatten it down to have a nicer laminating surface.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
looking sweet!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally felt comfortable enough to pop the model off today! So now basically what I did was debur the edges and rough trimmed it to give everyone an idea on where the perimeter will be! The diffuser will not I repeat will not be the same round odd shape like the belly pan it will be totally smoothed out and symmetrical to both sides on the underneath. Depending on how i make these strakes only a certain amount of exhausts will be able to fit with this diffuser unless you can trim the piece. I have been thinking also a lot on the design of the rear section, I am kind of bored of that bmw M3 look of the rear so I always had in my mind of deleting it and making a cool diffuser out of it, well the time has come and I have the opportunity to tweak the initial idea in this thread and make the diffuser come up the rear of the bumper completely cutting away the rear vent piece to accommodate the diffuser. I will test my skills real quick in CS5 to show you guys what I am talking about!

But in the meantime here is the work for tonight! I hope some of you start chiming in on this thread because I am at such a crucial part in the design of this diffuser, input is always welcome!

I pulled the bumper off with the diffuser and I may owe the car new clips! my fiberglass model is very stiff and was stubborn coming off!

The Red looking burns are from my 1000 watt heat lamps trying to cure the resin. I am about a mile away from the beach so I get a ton of moisture and cold temperatures along here and so maybe I got to carried away with the lights! But it is all good!It held its composure all the way through!

A look from the inside!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice Jared!!!! Looking good!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
$200 later! I have made a filler that worked out pretty good it's a soul absorber bought in the gardening center at the Home Depot!

The part of mixing was pretty treacherous, by the time I mixed everything up it looked like a bunch of alien rice crispies

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Perlite stuff didnt work out as great as I wanted but it was pretty light! I have used a Sil-cell instead which are very tiny particles that act as the filler. I enjoyed working with the Sil-cell much better because it allowed me to have a soft, light weight surface to shape.

At Midnight I am left with this mess in my shop with tools everywhere!

I set my 65% finished masterpiece on my desk in my office so I can loom at it for awhile!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts