Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dyno/Exhaust Clip/Track Video

My original thread had stage 2 in the title that I couldn't change and had gotten pretty messy...so I thought I would start a clean one up to show the progress and keep from getting the same questions over and over again since the information was so hard to find in the thread...

This was a long road. We found out earlier in 2011 that we are pregnant so I was looking to drop the '07 Avalanche I was driving. With 2 Boxers and a kid...it was going to be a PITA and I was itching for something fast again anyway. When I settled on the WRX (thanks to Subaru giving the 2011's the STi body/width treatment), I had a hell of a time finding one and they were no longer taking orders.

Luckily, by pure chance, I stumbled upon almost exactly what I was looking for at a local dealer before they had a chance to list it on their website.

I get asked a lot why I went with the WRX over the STI...well this is why...

Yeah it wasn't a money thing for me on which car I could afford. I traded in a car that was a lot more expensive to get this one. I wanted a four door car that could carry the son I had on the way, take me mountain biking and had all wheel drive. It was between the WRX, STI and EVO. I opened the trunk to the EVO and that got x'ed right away. The hatch Subaru is awesome for function that can still be tracked.

I actually made a spreadsheet on what each car had...the differences...and my plans on replacement aftermarket parts (which includes a new short block too by the way). I couldn't justify paying the 8 to 10 grand difference for just a 6 speed and differentials. Yes...you can get a base sedan for low 30's but you can not get the hatch with the options I wanted at that price so it was a true 8 to 10 thousand dollar difference for a lot of parts I would be taking off anyway.

So I instead put that money towards building the car I really wanted. The only PITA was the wheels...so custom drilled Works were the biggest headache but it all worked out.

Besides...there is nothing wrong with rocking a rear WRX badge and ignorant people thinking it is so much slower than a STI.

2011 WRX premium in silver with factory installed SPT exhaust.

Current Mods

Power/Engine
Custom Dyno Tune by TopSpeed in Alpharetta, GA
Blouch Dominator 1.5XT-R Turbo
Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump
ID 1000 Injectors
STI Intake Manifold
Borla UEL Header
Invidia Up Pipe
Perrin Front Mount Intercooler
Perrin Cold Air Intake
Grimmspeed Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacers
Grimmspeed EBCS
Tial QR Recirculating BOV
Cobb AccessPort
SPT Catback Exhaust
GReddy SP Elite Catback Exhaust
Invidia Catted Down Pipe
SPT Oil Cap
SPT Turbo Shield

Exterior
35% Tint
Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit (4300k) with removed orange marker
Yakima Highroller 2 Bike Roof Rack
Debadged Rear and Grill
STI Front Lip Spoiler
XXR 527 18x8.75 +35 Flat Black
Work Emotion 11R 18x9.5 +38 Flat Black
Hankook Ventus V12 255/35/18
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 265/35/18
Bayson R Carbon side skirts
Black Hella Supertones
Rally Armor Mud Flaps (black/silver logo)

Suspension/Misc
GTWorx Bilstein/RCE Yellow Strut Spring Combo
Brembo 4 pot front and 2 pot rear (painted silver w/black logos)
Kartboy STS w/Kartboy F&R Bushings
RaceComp Sway Bars F&R
Kartboy Endlinks F&R
Alignment: 0 Toe -2.5 Camber
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
Whiteline KBR Rear Braces

Interior
Sparco Milano Alcantara seats (Custom by JPM Coachworks)
SMY Gauge Hood
Prosport Boost Premium Gauge (white needle/red numbers)
Prosport Oil Pressure Premium Gauge (white needle/red numbers)
Red Illumination Kit
Pioneer AVIC-X930BT
Pioneer XM Radio
MOMO/Subaru Shift Knob
JPM Coachworks Short Throw Shift Boot (black leather/red stitching)
JPM Coachworks E-Brake Boot
Hertz 165XL 6.5" Components (Front Stage)
Custom Fiberglass A Pillars for Hertz Tweeters
10" Dayton HO Sub in Audio Integrations Box
Hertz HDP 4 Amp
JDM Radio Bezel
1080 3M Carbon Vinyl Overlays
Innovative Wideband Gauge
JPM Coachworks Center Console
JPM Coachworks Arm Rest
Valentine 1 on Blendmount
The night I brought her home...

Break-in Miles

Bi-Xenon HID Retro

Roof Rack and Tint Installed

Cobb AP Mounted

Randomness

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: RSutton's 2011 SSM WRX Hatch

RaceComp Engineering adjustable front and rear sway bars installed. Set to the softer setting on both F&R for now.

Front (forgot to take a picture before I put everything back together)

Rear

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Another quick update of what has been going on with the car.

JPM Coachworks (http://www.jpmcoachworks.com/jpm/) did an incredible job on the shift boot. I went with the leather with red stitching to match the rest of the interior of the car. The leather is incredible...actually makes me want to recover the rest and cover some of the plastic pieces throughout the car.

I added a Momo/Subaru shift knob at the same time to replace the stock one.

The e-brake boot now matches the shift boot thanks to Alex at JPMCoachworks.com.

The Hertz HSK 165XL 6.5" components went in this week. Ryan at SladeAudio.com did the install and fiberglass work on the pillars to get the front sound stage forward some. The pillars came out even better than I had imagined.

A DLS RA30 is under the drivers seat to throw power to the components. It will be replaced with a twice as powerful Hertz HDP4 once it comes in.

Everything from a birds eye view.

Hertz Tweeter

The Pillar setup

Dayton 10 in Audio Integrations Box

Pioneer AVIC X930BT

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Painted rear tails (5 coats Metalcast red w/3 coats of clear then wet sanded)

STI Lip (Painted STI emblem flat black)

Invidia Catted DP

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: RSutton's Stage 2 2011 SSM WRX Hatch

18x8.75 +35 wrapped in Hankook V12 255/35's

Going to take some better pictures later when the light is better.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

With cars, I have always believed that the addition of little changes that no one notices are what really make the difference. Simple de-badging...making items look like the should already be there (stock) but aren't...all of them add to the experience of the car without the onlooker even knowing the difference unless they had them side by side. This next mod was just another step in that direction.

JDM radio bezel.

New amp came in yesterday thanks to Ryan at SladeAudio.com and I had the chance to install it this morning.

The Hertz HDP 4 is running 150x2 at 4ohm to the front stage and 460x1 bridged at 4ohm to the sub. This is up from 70x2 and 265x1 that the DLS RA30 was putting out on a much smaller footprint thanks to the class D.

Hertz on the DLS as a size comparison

The DLS RA30 before removal under the driver's seat.

The Hertz HDP 4 installed

Glowing...

Installed the Whiteline Steering Rack Bushing kit yesterday.

Installation was pretty straight forward and easy to do on ramps. The provided Whiteline tool to remove the driver's side bushings made things much easier. I didn't end up taking any before and after pictures of the install due to trying not to melt in my garage in 95 degree Atlanta heat...but there isn't much to see any way as the only visual difference is the bushings changing from black to yellow.

When you hold the old vs. new in your hand, you can see why a lot of people do this mod. The original black rubber bushings allow for a lot of play in the steering rack under load. The new yellow bushings from Whiteline are much harder and they restrict that play.

How does it drive now?

It wasn't a "holy s#$t! This is awesome!" experience. I noticed better feel on turn in and less play in the steering wheel overall. The car only has 10,000 miles on it so I would suspect that cars with more wear and tear would feel a bigger benefit. This is part of an install that I am doing in conjunction with an Anti Lift Kit from Whiteline, so I was going for an overall effect that will be complete once that install is done.

I am glad I took the time to install these as I can see the stock bushings were only going to get worse with time. They also improved the steering feel of an otherwise really numb feeling that is known in Subaru's.

Every now and then...you get a project that once you are finished...you are glad you never have to go through that again.

Last night, a friend of mine and I installed the ALK. Getting the factory bushings out was a huge pain in the ass. They were really in there and after heat, a 600 ft/lb impact and multiple configurations on a bushing kit...they finally came loose.

The ALK adds .5 positive degrees of caster and helps the front end during acceleration and braking from diving and pulling up. It also helps turn in and other steering characteristics by getting rid of the stock rubber bushings in place of the harder Whiteline bushings.

I haven't gotten a chance to really throw the car around, but these along with the steering rack bushings is starting to bring the steering of the car to where it should have been.

·
Registered
50 Posts

I like your ride man, and i agree with you on the little changes that look like they belong. Also you are not far from my old home i am from lawrenceville ga so the pics bring back some memories for me cause i have been through alphretta a lot. The ferrari dealership still there?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

WC Lathe Werks rocks

Stealth gauge setup in SMY cluster.

This won't be for everyone...but I like it.

I have never really liked the light silver in the interior of the WRX. It doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the dark interior and it scratches incredibly easy. So...I started looking into ways I could paint or cover it to change things up a little bit.

I ended up using the 1080 Scotchptint carbon vinyl from 3M. It is easier to work with than Di-Noc and the finish looks better in my opinion. I just did the JDM radio bezel and center console. I'll probably start there as I don't want to over do it...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I like your ride man, and i agree with you on the little changes that look like they belong. Also you are not far from my old home i am from lawrenceville ga so the pics bring back some memories for me cause i have been through alphretta a lot. The ferrari dealership still there?
Yeah it is still there.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts

i like the carbon wrap. nice job!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This past weekend, I finally got my 2011 WRX in to TopSpeed for a custom tune. I had made the decision to hold off on any more power mods until the warranty was up, so the goal was to make sure the motor was running efficient and safe while putting out power. I built this car with mountain runs in mind...not the drag strip...so useable power in that situation was the ultimate goal.

I do not have the stock baseline numbers on this car.

Event:
Custom Stage 2 Dyno Tune
Ambient Temp: 93 degrees
Elevation: 1000 feet (est)
Weather: Sunny

Car: 2011 Subaru WRX SSM Hatch
Dyno: Dyno Jet
Tuner: Douglas Wilks
Peak HP at RPM: 284.88
Peak Torque at RPM: 324.46
Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same dyno: N/A
Target Boost: 19 PSI
Fuel: 93 Octane

Power Mods

Invidia Catted Downpipe
Subaru SPT Cat Back Exhaust

Rest of the mods can be found here --> http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2171245

The RunFile_001.drl is actually the Torqued Performance (in Denver) stage 2 map I was already running. Eric at Torqued had actually done a couple of edits on the OTS map based off of a couple road 3rd gear pulls I had done...so I guess you could consider that a custom e-tune.

The RunFile_015.drl is the final mapping we finished with on the car. Peak numbers on the previous run were actually 285 hp/330 ft lbs but we backed it off just a little bit to increase the safety factor.

Overall, I am incredibly happy with the result. As you can see by the graph, we gained a ton of useable power in the beginning of the RPM range which makes the drivability of the car so much better around town. WOT acceleration is crazy smooth now and pulling out of tight turns and other mountain run situations is effortless...just what I was looking for.

Doug and the crew at TopSpeed are a killer group to work with. Doug really takes his time to make sure your car is perfect before he rolls it back off the dyno. I can't wait until that day the warranty is up to go back and get a 1.5DOM with supporting mods installed.

2011 Subaru WRX TopSpeed Dyno Pull - YouTube

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

how much did they charge for the dyno tune?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I already had an AccessPort from TopSpeed so the tune with that should run you in the mid 300's give or take.

·
Registered
777 Posts

Looks good man! Didn't see the new amp addition on DIYMA. I'm finally getting a stage 2 setup for my 2010, which I'm psyched on. Did you feel a "seat of your pants" difference from the OTS TP tune and the protune? You could still add an intercooler and EBCS while in warranty and get some nice gains w/o going bigger turbo :)

1 - 20 of 110 Posts