Subaru WRX Forums banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
We got one of the seats in yesterday. It is amazing how much it transforms the interior already. I am completely blown away. I can't wait to get the other one in and apply some finishing touches on the interior.

I dropped off the other seat (the one I was using in the drivers seat) so it could get done yesterday. Keep in mind, the black harness pass throughs have not come in from Sparco yet so those will be added to the installed seat as well. This is also not the final steering wheel design. JPM should have the new wheel in and recovered sometime this week.

Here are some pictures to pass the time. I am going to do a real shoot of the interior once everything is in and complete. We have something insane in process for the A pillars but I am not sure if that will be done yet when I everything else goes in.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Those seats are what should have come from the factory on the WRX/STI. (at least the STI anyway)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Audio additions on the horizon.

For the WBM, we put in a regular hood in place of my SMY in the interest of time. For those of you that don't know, the SMY is a pain to wrap because it is not symmetrical. After some begging and bribing, Joe at JPM did me a huge favor and wrapped my SMY so I could get my gauges back. Up until this point, they were tied off under the dash.

I still need to figure out something for my wideband gauge though. I hate where it is right now. I used to have it in the storage compartment below the air controls, but now it won't fit like I had it because of the STI center console swap. I really wish there were more gauge mounting options for the GR's...

I will be switching out the Prosports for some Defi's soon. I am not convinced the Prosports are entirely accurate and the quality just isn't there.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Nice pillars! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how they look wrapped. They'll probably stitch them? Don't figure a single piece could stretch that much.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
The RCE Tarmac 2's are installed alignment scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Car in the garage

Before and After Rear

Installed Rear

Before and After Front

Installed Front

Camber Plates

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I have been getting some questions on how the car is sitting on the new suspension...so here are some quick pictures.

And a Instagramesk picture...because everyone seems to love those...

Why are you taking off the bilsteins? What's the rates on the tarmacs? Just curious
I love the Bilsteins. The car is seeing a lot more track time this year than anticipated so I wanted something with more control. The Bilsteins were fantastic for light track use and DD...now I just needed something a little bit more. I loved the previous suspension so much that I called RCE again for this setup. 400/400

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I have been running Hawk HP+'s for awhile. I absolutely love how they bite and they have had zero issues on the track or mountain runs. However, they dust like a damn blizzard and are squeaky as hell. The running joke was I had was that I after I washed my car...just pulling out of the driveway would get my wheels dirty. To make matters worse, the dust is brown so it even really showed up on my flat black wheels.

After dealing with this for awhile, I finally decided to run a DD set of pads and a track/mountain run set of pads. Since it basically takes 20 minutes or less to swap pads on Brembo's including jacking the car up, this really isn't that big of a deal.

I searched around the internet to find a set of pads that were half way decent that didn't dust all over the wheels. After seeing some reviews on TireRack.com and IWSTI, I landed on the Posi Quiets.

As the name implies, they are QUIET! They also do not get the wheels dirty...and they are pretty cheap. They aren't Autozone brand cheap but a lot cheaper than the track pads. The braking bite is not as good as the HP+'s but I was expecting that. They are find for daily driving use and that is all that really matters for their purpose.

We'll see how they do over time, but so far I am liking the different pads for different purposes setup.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
So we went to work on some more of the interior last night. We are going to do more of a proper photoshoot of everything later, but I thought I would go ahead and get some pictures up of the progress today.

Last night we...

Wrapped and installed the new GTSpec D Shaped wheel covered by JPM to match the interior.

• Black leather sides
  • Black Alcantara top and bottom
  • Red Alcantara stripe at 12 o'clock
  • Red stitching

JPM wrapped the new 3 way A-Pillars in black Alcantara with black double stitching. Hertz 165XL tweeters (matched with the 6.5" woofers in sealed doors) and Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" Bamboo Cone Driver mid-range.

Finished the dash treatment by extending the black Alcantara to the tops of the doors.

Pictures really do not do the interior justice. Alex and Joe at JPM Coachworks have done a fantastic job. It completely changes the entire feel of the car when you sit in it. I could not be any happier at this point.

Now we just have to get the second Sparco seat in and I need to pick up another 4 way amp and JBL MS-8 processor. We have something special in mind for that processor as well...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Those pillars are incredible. What are you running as an audio processor?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
So previously, I was running a 2 way passive front stage with custom a pillars that housed a single tweeter. As you can see by the new interior upgrade, it is now a 3 way system that is going to be setup active.

To setup a 3 way active front stage, you have to get an external processing unit and delete the passive crossovers. I decided to use the new JBL MS-8 as it has an onboard amp that can power the tweeters and mid range on the pillar while I can power the mid basses in the doors and the sub off my existing amp. The plan is to get another 4x100 full range class D (probably another Hertz HDP 4) to power the pillars, but this will work in the meantime to get everything running.

The JBL MS-8 is a pretty impressive piece of equipment. It came down the Audison Bit One and this unit, but the ease of setup really sold me on the MS-8 along with some reviews from some fellow audio geeks. The unit comes with a LCD control display and you actually wear a set of headphones with mics on each side to setup the listening positions in the car.

Everything is hooked up and sounds great so far. I still have a lot of tuning to do before it will be where I want it. But it fits under the seat and gets the job done. Here is a teaser of some of the fab work I am in process of completing for the LCD display. It is going to sit flush mounted to the center console where the S drive would usually be.

·
Registered
49 Posts
looking good. question though, for the blouch turbo did you have to do tgv deletes or air pump deletes? also curious if your using the stock map sensor. just curious because i wanna shoot for 375ish and could use your setup as a guide for myself.

·
Registered
777 Posts
MS8 controller integration looks great! I don't remember if you've already had the MS8, but check out the massive MS8 thread on diymobileaudio. Tons of tips, etc for different setups.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The car looks amazing. Subaru could take some cues on how to raise the bar in the stock car by looking at your vehicle. Very tasteful.

BTW, with the amount of power you are running, have you taken any precautions with regard to the infamous 5-speed "glass" transmission? I didn't see that specifically addressed anywhere.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts