Subaru WRX Forums banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I certainly hope that's true. Have heard, mostly, otherwise until now.

Any idea what consistent HP/Torque our transmissions can handle safely?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I certainly hope that's true. Have heard, mostly, otherwise until now.

Any idea what consistent HP/Torque our transmissions can handle safely?

Thanks
Really? From where? While they certainly aren't as strong as the 6speed, they aren't the "glass" trans as the early WRXs. In 08+, the transmission is much more like the 05-09 LGT which are known to handle decent power safely. There have been ppl with blown transmissions, but most I have heard about were running 400+ wtq.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't remember specifically who or at what HP/TQ level, but I've seen 1 or 2 videos showing the gear teeth letting go. Also, saw pics & video where a guy's 3rd gear sheared its teeth & he replaced 1st through 4th with some Australian gears (straight-cut 1st & thicker helical gears for 2nd through 4th) & a shaft in his transmission. I've been worried about the strength of my transmission as I raised my cars power levels after a gentleman at Cobb in Plano, TX said I shouldn't eclipse about 320HP/TQ if I want my transmission to have any appreciable longevity. I'm definitely glad to hear that they are good for 400+ WTQ. Since I don't plan on going that high, my transmission should handle what I intend to do power wise without expensive upgrades & significant increases in NVH associated with straight-cut gears.

Thanks for the useful info

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think the video and car your talking about might be xluben and he was well past 400 wtq AND he was road racing when he had his gears shear and had them replaced with PAR gears. What I'm saying is these newer trans CAN hold more power than the older "glass" trans. A lot also depends on the driver and the amount of stress it sees (DD, drag racing, road racing, etc). The more the you beat on it and the more torque you put on it, the sooner it will give.

Btw, it seems under most conditions (no extreme abuse of course), 400wtq seems to be around the mark that you want to stay below or you're pushing it IMO.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Good to know.

Sounds like you're talking about one of the same cars. Another was an Australian guy & his friend following a beat up pink car. When he downshifted to climb a slight grade & all of a sudden he was free revving with what sounded like gravel in his trans. He shout some expletive & the video ends. Again, unknown power level.

My car is almost exclusively DD. Hope to track a few times. I never drag race it more than taking off from a light once in a great while so I don't get stuck at a merge next to someone.

My goal is for as wide, responsive & smooth a powerband as I can get. Not interested in massive, laggy power. Hopefully, around 300-330WHP/330-360WTQ (now that you've let me know my trans can handle it). :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
AllPro's favorite pain in the ass customer showed up today...me...with a box of yellow parts ready for install. I needed to get the Whiteline camber adjustment bushings for the rear to bring the camber back some...so I figured that it would be a great time to install some other bushings that have been sitting in my garage for forever.

Sourced From RaceComp Engineering:
Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings
Whiteline Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
Whiteline Rear Control arm - Upper Inner Bushing (camber correction)

Even just driving away, the entire rear end of the car felt a lot more solid. Not annoying bouncing around the road solid...but unified. They also increased steering feel on turn in and predictability in the turns. I can't wait to really push the setup to see how it feels against the stock setup. As we all know, the stock bushings in our cars are terrible in comparison.

Thanks to Brandon and Wes for putting up with me this afternoon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

Picked up a watch that matches my interior.

Cylinder 2 finally let go as the infamous ring lands showed their expected demise. Ultimately, the stock pistons lasted a lot longer than I thought they would at 44k total miles on the car and 22k of that at 392whp. Luckily, we were ready to go with a new short block already. It is getting broken in this week so I will have final numbers and pictures later this week/early next. I am actually thinking about doing an e85 map this time as well.

TSM RR1 Short Block

• 99.75 CP Stock Compression Ratio Pistons
  • Manley Turbo Tuff Rods
  • ACL Main Rod and Thrust Bearings
  • ARP Case Bolts
  • Blueprinted Oil Galleys
  • 2012 STI Crank
Check and Deck Heads
STI 11m Oil Pump
Killer B Oil Pickup Tube
ACT HDSS Clutch

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
We didn't have time to finish today on the dyno. There was only one other tune scheduled for Saturday and the car bought the car used. It ended up having the grounds all screwed up and the wrong fuel pump in it so it took FOREVER. By the time we got mine on, we only had a little bit of time to work with it. We ended the day at 406/390. Looks like the final numbers are going to be around 418 on pump which will be a killer driving around tune.

Leaving the shop...I had a green arrow to turn left (and the lights were green on my side for straight). The guy on the opposite side stopped at his red light then turned right on red right into me. Damaged the hell out of the passenger side of my car. Luckily, it appears to just be the door and fender since he was in a Toyota Sequoia. Should be an easy fix that just looks really bad. He didn't hit the wheel or anything below about half way down the door. Just really frustrated…

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
A wrecked car didn't keep me away from Caffeine and Octane...

After 2 weeks of the guy trying to lie to his insurance company, they finally admitted 100% fault. It wasn't really the insurance companies fault for it taking so long. People should just tell the truth and move on with their lives. Poor girl. At least she is in great hands at WagenWerks in Roswell, GA.

Quick cell phone shot.

Insurance approved the add ons so work on the car will finally start next week. I am taking this opportunity to do some work to the car so there will be quite a few changes coming out. I might as well do it while it is already in there taken apart! I am paying the extra BTW so this is completely legit and not trying to screw the insurance company. I don't personally believe in doing that.

I'll leave most of the details for when it gets out, but one of the things that is getting don e is a complete revamp of the 3 way active front stage. Here is a diagram of the new setup.

The new tweeter and midrange will be replacing this current setup in my pillars.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
The new midbass drivers (Peerless SLS) and tweeters (LPG 26NA). HFS they are huge!!! I am going to have to beef up my door and surrounding area rattle protection for these babies. My doors are already sealed and lined with Dynamat...but that isn't going to be enough with this excursion. I am going to have to break out the modeling clay and go to town on the car. The new midrange 4" drivers will be here on Saturday.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Just received a photo to my phone. S$&t is about to get real. So stoked. Classic Livery of Atlanta FTW.

Calipers are back from thepowdercoater.com.

I am kind of keeping close to the vest right now but I will say that a Subaru has never been painted this color before.

Another teaser. Notice something missing?

The Scanspeak Discovery 10F 4" drivers just came in. The new front stage is set.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Another visit from UPS.

Ok...it's time to stop shooting the breeze and start shooting paint. Here are some progress pictures to get things rolling.

The color...Designo Magno Alanite Grey from AMG. It is a matte pearl silver that you might have seen in a lot of their press pictures lately. In person, it is absolutely INSANE. It is a matte finish that has a ton of pearl and course flake in it which makes it really deep looking. I only hope I can really capture how incredible it looks in person through a lens.

Classic Livery of Atlanta (also known as WagenWerks) is doing the collision repair and paint. They do a lot of really high end/high profile cars locally but are an incredible, down to earth shop. They are awesome to work with and hit the track on the weekends. I really couldn't ask for any better locally.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Before masking started. It really is amazing how thin the paint is on our cars. No wonder it flakes off if you even look at it wrong.

Some more updates. Here are the progress pictures of the hatch and roof getting painted in the Designo Magno Alanite Grey.

Car rolling into the booth.

Prepped and ready for paint

Getting sprayed

Hatch with the Alanite Grey

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I wanna know how you got put in line so quickly?
Usually it takes a long time to get stuff done.
I am a fan.

The car was wrecked thanks to an idiot running a red light, so it started as an insurance job not a custom one. Thanks! Here are some more updates.

The car in in the booth getting rest of the body paint. Since the passenger side was all new, they had to spray the original silver first before the Magno Alanite Grey so it would match the rest of the panels.

The Magno Alanite Grey going on...

If you look at the pictures, you can see how much more defined the lines of the car look with the Alanite Grey vs. the stock SSM. It looks pretty crazy in sunlight as there is a ton of color shift due to the really course flake in the paint. The body lines are going to be even more accented than stock and the paint is going to look really deep.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts